John Baird Off

three jags

Didn't do much at Dundee in the Premiership and didn't make enough impact with us, think he is a solid Championship player but maybe not quite up to this level.

Best of luck to him, think there will be a few clubs after him like Raith and Hamilton.

Did not deserve the abuse he got and I dont think he was given enough of a chance.

Best of luck to him, except of course if he plays against us.

I would have kept him to the summer - we are not safe from the playoffs so it would ahve negated the danger of him joining a team there and scoring against us.

Second if we ended up in the championship he is a very useful player to have in that league

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

His contract ran to May/June 2015 did it not? Money down the pan?

Maybe not money down the pan,

you'll probably find the player has been offered a move elsewhere, and Thistle instead of asking for cash have agreed to release him. Much like Higgy to ourselves.Edited to Add - Likely been some sort of payoff - 6months 12 months maybe even the 18 - but i highly doubt this.

Edited by stuart_adam

you'll probably find the player has been offered a move elsewhere, and Thistle instead of asking for cash have agreed to release him. Much like Higgy to ourselves.

Further to this,

either that or they paid him till the end of the season, wouldnt see them paying off 18 months

Although he wasn't very good I'd like to see another striker brought in to cover for him departing. I know we only had 2 strikers on the books from Aug-Jan but it's a risky strategy to continue to the end of the season if there's any injuries to Doolan or Taylor. Also make playing 2 upfront difficult with no replacement on the bench for those 2.

Also good to see Archie doesn't persist with players he's realised he's made a mistake with as many previous managers have. I'd expect Kerr to leave to if a deal can be agreed, he's been even further out the picture all season than Baird.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

Although he wasn't very good I'd like to see another striker brought in to cover for him departing. I know we only had 2 strikers on the books from Aug-Jan but it's a risky strategy to continue to the end of the season if there's any injuries to Doolan or Taylor. Also make playing 2 upfront difficult with no replacement on the bench for those 2.

Also good to see Archie doesn't persist with players he's realised he's made a mistake with as many previous managers have. I'd expect Kerr to leave to if a deal can be agreed, he's been even further out the picture all season than Baird.

Elliot has played previously as a striker and there is also Chris Duggan

Elliot has played previously as a striker and there is also Chris Duggan

Elliot was useless in the striker role, he improved when played wide. I hope Archie is not counting him as a striker.

Duggan is promising but isn't over his latest injury yet so will be well off first team pace.

you'll probably find the player has been offered a move elsewhere, and Thistle instead of asking for cash have agreed to release him. Much like Higgy to ourselves.

Just like your info on Higgy had no facts and plucked from the sky just like your story on Baird

Baird, 28, who signed from Dundee last season, failed to find the net in 17 appearances - mostly from the bench - for the Premiership outfit.

"John has agreed a compromise agreement with Thistle this morning," said his agent Ricky Gillies.

"They've paid up his contract and allowed him to move. There is interest from a few Championship clubs."

Baird, who began his career with Clyde, struggled in front of goal for Alan Archibald's side.

"The restructuring of the Thistle squad this January continues with John Baird the latest player to sign his release papers and become a free agent," the club said.

"John leaves Firhill with the best wishes of all at the clu

Edited by thistlenowthistleforever

Despite what his agent says, I'd imagine there will have been an agreement to compromise & pay it up to the end of the season.

The alternative? He's stuck getting the occasional u20 game in the next 18 months on a basic wage & not being an attractive proposition to any other club!!

Just like your info on Higgy had no facts and plucked from the sky just like your story on Baird

Baird, 28, who signed from Dundee last season, failed to find the net in 17 appearances - mostly from the bench - for the Premiership outfit.

"John has agreed a compromise agreement with Thistle this morning," said his agent Ricky Gillies.

"They've paid up his contract and allowed him to move. There is interest from a few Championship clubs."

Baird, who began his career with Clyde, struggled in front of goal for Alan Archibald's side.

"The restructuring of the Thistle squad this January continues with John Baird the latest player to sign his release papers and become a free agent," the club said.

"John leaves Firhill with the best wishes of all at the clu

Paid up his contract doesnt mean its the whole lot, also noticed it says Compromise agreement.

Lets spend the rest of the day arguing like little school girls.

Pleb.

Why would his agent make that up? It has no benefit to him or the player?

Maybe enough getting him off the wage bill to allow maybe a Ryan Stevenson in

Who suggested that Gillies made anything up? It is described as "a compromise agreement". Baird will be getting something, the Club will be saving something on the 2-year costs of his contract. Not ideal for either party, but the best in the circumstances. I expect he will do OK at a lower level. Hopefully we get in someone who can perform to the required level. No manager has a 100% success rate in signings working out. This just happens to be one of Archie's failures in that regard.

Edited by David Stevenson