"bp Boss Warns Of 'uncertainties' Due To Scottish Vote"

stillresigned

This is just the latest in a long line of mind numbingly stupid comments about the independence referendum. Whether you are for or against independence, you surely cannot be against a debate and surely any allegedly democratic society should postpone a vote for fear of upsetting business. Perhaps these fools would prefer that we lived in a fascist state, then there would be no interfering with business? I have to be honest theres so much rubbish being generated on this issue and I don't think I am wrong in saying much of it eminates from the likes of that twat Darling.

• Like 1

Big business basically rules the world nowadays, but to be fair to Dudley he didn't actually say all that much, except that he thinks Britain is great (fair enough, that's his opinion) and there is "uncertainty" over which currency we might use. Which, technically, there is, although it would seem sensible at this juncture to continue using the pound. All of this, however, has blown into a massive non-story by the usual suspects.

The proof of the pudding is that BP intends to invest £10bn in the North Sea. That doesn't look like uncertainty to me.

Big business basically rules the world nowadays, but to be fair to Dudley he didn't actually say all that much, except that he thinks Britain is great (fair enough, that's his opinion) and there is "uncertainty" over which currency we might use. Which, technically, there is, although it would seem sensible at this juncture to continue using the pound. All of this, however, has blown into a massive non-story by the usual suspects.

The proof of the pudding is that BP intends to invest £10bn in the North Sea. That doesn't look like uncertainty to me.

BP have to ensure that its share holders are kept happy, there is a great deal of uncertainty regarding how Scotland will operate if a YES vote goes through, in regards tax and currency which affects BP, investing £10bn in the North sea over the next decade is peanuts compared to what they bring out over a yearly basis, and not all the investment is in the UK sector with Valhall & Ula due for part of that investment, also some of the current UK fields could fall within the new UK waters if Scotland goes independant

http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/pdf/bp-worldwide/BP_Asset%20map_September13.pdf

• Like 1

BP have to ensure that its share holders are kept happy, there is a great deal of uncertainty regarding how Scotland will operate if a YES vote goes through, in regards tax and currency which affects BP, investing £10bn in the North sea over the next decade is peanuts compared to what they bring out over a yearly basis, and not all the investment is in the UK sector with Valhall & Ula due for part of that investment, also some of the current UK fields could fall within the new UK waters if Scotland goes independant

http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/pdf/bp-worldwide/BP_Asset%20map_September13.pdf

That's as maybe. My issue is that Bob Dudley expressed a personal opinion but the media reported it as if he was speaking on behalf of his company.

• 1 month later...

april fools in todays newspapers include:

The Times suggests that the Duke of Saxony - a German descended from the Stuart kings - sees the prospect of Scottish independence as a chance to claim the throne of Scotland. The clue, however, lies in quotes attributed to an academic Amadan Giblean, whose name is a Gaelic translation of April Fool.

The Guardian envisages Scotland showing it's "part of Europe" by switching to driving on the right, relabeling the signage system so that the M8 motorway becomes the S8 and constructing huge, spiralling "direction reversal" systems to avoid accidents when cross-border motorists become confused by the lane switch.

First Minister Alex Salmond's head would replace that of the Queen on a pound coin named the "Salmond Sterling", according to the Daily Telegraph's "Flora Poli".

The Daily Mail says it's snapped a ministerial aide accidentally revealing the design for a "Scot-free Union Jack", minus the blue of the saltire. It quotes "Avril McTickle" complaining that there's "no constitutional need to change the flag".

Meanwhile, away from Scotland, the Sun reports that the Queen has approved fracking in the grounds of Buckingham Palace in a bid to reduce "rocketing" palace utility bills of £3.1m. If the line about Prince Charles being convinced doesn't quite give the game away, the quotes from "green campaigner Avril Fuel" ought to.

And the Daily Express says British famer Ian Hatchett's hens are laying square eggs at his "Flair Loop" farm, in Suffolk.

• Like 1

I'm currently in Japan, and recently met a guy from Ayr who was a definite "No" man when I met him last winter. A sevco supporter, union jack type of guy. To my surprise, one of the first things he told me on Friday was that he'd completely changed his opinion about independence, and now thought that it was the only way forward for Scotland! He doesn't like Alex Salmond, but hates the thought of eternal right wing Westminster governments forcing their policies on Scotland for evermore. I reckon that if somebody like him has changed, the Yes vote could well win by a landslide.

I'm currently in Japan, and recently met a guy from Ayr who was a definite "No" man when I met him last winter. A sevco supporter, union jack type of guy. To my surprise, one of the first things he told me on Friday was that he'd completely changed his opinion about independence, and now thought that it was the only way forward for Scotland! He doesn't like Alex Salmond, but hates the thought of eternal right wing Westminster governments forcing their policies on Scotland for evermore. I reckon that if somebody like him has changed, the Yes vote could well win by a landslide.

Landslide, my bell end,

Scotland will decide, and we will decide to remain in the United Kingdom. We will choose to stay united, and keep our Kingdom

King Charlie will rule over us (despite murdering his wife). And Kate and William will follow on.

And forget your Dundee and Hamilton,, I quite like the new pope, but not the vatican. Maryhill is wonderful.

Last time I measured it, it was eleven inches. Mon the Jags.

Landslide, my bell end,

Scotland will decide, and we will decide to remain in the United Kingdom. We will choose to stay united, and keep our Kingdom

King Charlie will rule over us (despite murdering his wife). And Kate and William will follow on.

And forget your Dundee and Hamilton,, I quite like the new pope, but not the vatican. Maryhill is wonderful.

Last time I measured it, it was eleven inches. Mon the Jags.

Err...., gaun yersel', big man.

latest poll saw a 4% swing to ..... yes 41%, no 45%, to decide 14% ..... the gap is fast closing, and will continue to close until it swings in favour of a yes vote.

the constant stream of pish propaganda from the project fear and too wee too poor too small negativity camp will continue to actually assist increase, and not decrease, the yes vote.

• Like 1

To be honest, I am getting fed up of the times I hear the Yes campaign trot out the likes of "Project Fear" "bluff and bluster" "scaremongering" every time they respond to an argument that goes against their viewpoint.

I think they may well be taking people for fools. Most people have made up their minds on the issue. The ones undecided need convincing and want to have reasoned debate.

I would give more credit to the Yes campaign if they said things might not be better on every issue, but the goal of independence is worth it. If people who do not know who to vote for heard more honesty, they may well be more inclined to vote for who they can trust most. Childish responses to serious debate does not wash with those who clearly need convincing.

To be honest, I am getting fed up of the times I hear the Yes campaign trot out the likes of "Project Fear" "bluff and bluster" "scaremongering" every time they respond to an argument that goes against their viewpoint.

I think they may well be taking people for fools. Most people have made up their minds on the issue. The ones undecided need convincing and want to have reasoned debate.

I would give more credit to the Yes campaign if they said things might not be better on every issue, but the goal of independence is worth it. If people who do not know who to vote for heard more honesty, they may well be more inclined to vote for who they can trust most. Childish responses to serious debate does not wash with those who clearly need convincing.

Totally agree, it's been the same on every point

No use of sterling, the treasury is lying

No straight Eu membership, the Eu is lying

Cross border pension laws apply, the Eu is lying

BP fears jobs will go, BP is lying

UK classified defence work can't go to a non UK Scotland, the M.O.D is lying

Several companies state that they will look to move out, these companies are lying

As soon as someone questions the highland and island party, they are either lying or anti-Scottish, and some of the statements and tweets coming from the SNP and their MSP's are bordering on racist against English

And what is your opinion of the increasingly demented and hysterical outpourings emanating from the pro-union camp?

Incidentally, 'Project Fear' is a name they gave themselves.

Even in their more lucid moments the unionists demand answers to questions that often cannot be answered - by anyone. At least not at this point in time. And so we, the public, get the tried and trusted 'uncertainty' line shoved down our throats.

I don't think anyone from the Yes campaign has pretended that Scotland will become, or even could become, some kind of utopia, simply that things could be better than they are now. The overriding message of their campaign is that Scotland should run its own affairs. For the life of me I cannot see what is objectionable about that concept. If someone could point out the fundamental flaw in that idea then I will possibly reconsider my position. Until then I expect I will remain very much convinced that the way forward for Scotland is for it to take control of its own affairs.

Totally agree, it's been the same on every point

No use of sterling, the treasury is lying

No straight Eu membership, the Eu is lying

Cross border pension laws apply, the Eu is lying

BP fears jobs will go, BP is lying

UK classified defence work can't go to a non UK Scotland, the M.O.D is lying

Several companies state that they will look to move out, these companies are lying

As soon as someone questions the highland and island party, they are either lying or anti-Scottish, and some of the statements and tweets coming from the SNP and their MSP's are bordering on racist against English

What statements and tweets?

But you are convinced by childish retorts of "ye canna dae this, or ye canna dae that if ye become independent"? Because that is ALL the no campaign has offered from the start. And more and more people are now seeing right through the lies.

Have you seen the recent debate on the Andrew Neill show when several people were saying that no Scot (even in the unlikely event of a "no" vote) should hold high positions in Westminster? And Neill, a supposed Scot, sat there smiling in agreement. This was all allowed to go out on the BBC.

Wouldn't you say that that is "bordering" on racism?

Edited by Jaggernaut

GI - I would be very surprised if the No campaign described themselves as Project Fear. If you are correct and have proof then I take that one back. However, my point is that the more they trot out the same response the more dangerous it is for them. It all sounds like PR "experts" have told them to say these soundbites, if you say things again and again, people might start to believe you...

To be fair to the No campaign they have said that Scotland could go independent in theory, but state that they believe Scotland is better off within the Union. I do not see that as hysterical.

Robertson's comments were bizarre in my opinion. Maybe that's where you and I differ. I am open to questioning all sides of the argument, even if it is coming from a fellow Unionist. I hear too many on the Yes side accepting everything Salmond says.

Jaggernaut - since Salmond wants all exiles to assume Scottish nationality, it is not such a ludicrous statement to imply that they will be foreigners in RUK - how could non-nationals then be in Parliament! This may seem like a flippant comment on a TV show to you. You call it racist, I see it as another example where some people do not understand the real implications and magnitude of a break-up of the UK. As an exile myself, this is an area I take very seriously.