"bp Boss Warns Of 'uncertainties' Due To Scottish Vote"

stillresigned

Have you seen the recent debate on the Andrew Neill show when several people were saying that no Scot (even in the unlikely event of a "no" vote) should hold high positions in Westminster? And Neill, a supposed Scot, sat there smiling in agreement. This was all allowed to go out on the BBC.

Wouldn't you say that that is "bordering" on racism?

Under independence a Scot would not be part of the rUK and as such could not hold a seat in a government where they never held a passport for, in a NO vote this would just be wrong, I never saw the debate but was it MPs or public that stated this?

With Salmonds "blame the English for everything" stance it is going to fuel pushback against Scots in Westminster, and possibly through the wider community, the way the debate has gone has successfully started to split the country with even the Church of Scotland condemning it.

Westminster or the English are not to blame for a lot of our problems, Scotland is, we don't have the highest level of knife crime due to the English, or the highest binge drinking due to Westminster pouring alcopops down our throats, at times we as a nation have a lot of inherit social issue which we've had for centuries.

We as a nation are no worse off or more poorly treated from Westminster than the north east or North west of England, you want to see real deprivation go visit Middlesborough or Toxteth or Barrow, they make Possilpark look like Belle-Air.

Jaggernaut - since Salmond wants all exiles to assume Scottish nationality, it is not such a ludicrous statement to imply that they will be foreigners in RUK - how could non-nationals then be in Parliament! This may seem like a flippant comment on a TV show to you. You call it racist, I see it as another example where some people do not understand the real implications and magnitude of a break-up of the UK. As an exile myself, this is an area I take very seriously.

Most Exiles I know (there are thousands over here) have massive fears over giving up a UK &EU passport for a Scottish one, and given the choice most of the guys I have spoken to would opt for a rUK one

Jaggernaut - since Salmond wants all exiles to assume Scottish nationality, it is not such a ludicrous statement to imply that they will be foreigners in RUK - how could non-nationals then be in Parliament! This may seem like a flippant comment on a TV show to you. You call it racist, I see it as another example where some people do not understand the real implications and magnitude of a break-up of the UK. As an exile myself, this is an area I take very seriously.

I'm not sure you've understood what was said. They were saying that even in the event of a "no" vote, given Scottish devolution, Scots should be barred from holding high office in a UK government.

I think that sums up precisely how Westminster and the British establishment really views Scotland. And I find it astonishing that any Scottish unionists would see that as acceptable, and say they will vote for this kind of racism directed against them.

Under independence a Scot would not be part of the rUK and as such could not hold a seat in a government where they never held a passport for, in a NO vote this would just be wrong, I never saw the debate but was it MPs or public that stated this?

With Salmonds "blame the English for everything" stance it is going to fuel pushback against Scots in Westminster, and possibly through the wider community, the way the debate has gone has successfully started to split the country with even the Church of Scotland condemning it.

Westminster or the English are not to blame for a lot of our problems, Scotland is, we don't have the highest level of knife crime due to the English, or the highest binge drinking due to Westminster pouring alcopops down our throats, at times we as a nation have a lot of inherit social issue which we've had for centuries.

We as a nation are no worse off or more poorly treated from Westminster than the north east or North west of England, you want to see real deprivation go visit Middlesborough or Toxteth or Barrow, they make Possilpark look like Belle-Air.

Show me one example of this"blame the English for everything" stance that you attribute to Alex Salmond. Frankly, you are talking tripe. No arguments, so just blind insults.

Most Exiles I know (there are thousands over here) have massive fears over giving up a UK &EU passport for a Scottish one, and given the choice most of the guys I have spoken to would opt for a rUK one

Funny that; most exiles I know, in France and Japan where I spend most of my time, can't wait for Scotland to be an independent country, not a region dependent on pocket money from England.

I guess we move in different circles.

Norge - I know no Scot in my circles in Germany that are for independence either. Since Norway is a country often praised by the Yes campaign, it is interesting to hear from you that Scots living there appear not to want Scotland to follow the example.

On the issue of passports, following a Yes vote, I understand we can keep a UK passport until it expires. We would then have to get a Scottish one. The White Paper states that the RUK government should allow dual nationality to allow us to have both a UK and Scottish passport, but admits this would be up to the RUK to decide... No guarantee this will happen.

The only firm fact I have is that I would eventually get a Scottish passport. The only other option would be for me to become a German citizen. I guess Scots living in England could become RUK citizens based on residency as well.

Salmond may talk down the break up of the UK and say we will still be a family of friends. On the passport/nationality issue, this is far from clear.

The worst part is that the majority of exiles cannot even vote on an issue that could determine their own nationality.

• Like 1

Show me one example of this"blame the English for everything" stance that you attribute to Alex Salmond. Frankly, you are talking tripe. No arguments, so just blind insults.

Have you ever listened to the Scottish Parliament? Everything that is bad is blamed on English rule from Westminster

Norge - I know no Scot in my circles in Germany that are for independence either. Since Norway is a country often praised by the Yes campaign, it is interesting to hear from you that Scots living there appear not to want Scotland to follow the example.

On the issue of passports, following a Yes vote, I understand we can keep a UK passport until it expires. We would then have to get a Scottish one. The White Paper states that the RUK government should allow dual nationality to allow us to have both a UK and Scottish passport, but admits this would be up to the RUK to decide... No guarantee this will happen.

The only firm fact I have is that I would eventually get a Scottish passport. The only other option would be for me to become a German citizen. I guess Scots living in England could become RUK citizens based on residency as well.

Salmond may talk down the break up of the UK and say we will still be a family of friends. On the passport/nationality issue, this is far from clear.

The worst part is that the majority of exiles cannot even vote on an issue that could determine their own nationality.

The biggest fear is for passports for us ex-pats and our dependants and I know several guys who are actively looking into getting rUK passport in the event of a YES vote, with some even talking about pursuing Norwegian citizenship instead.

The other fears are Jobs, pension, currency (and value of savings) and complete reliance on oil (which is now starting to backfire here, but slowly), being part of the union is far better in most of our opinions for leverage in the international market, currency (sterling is accepted anywhere), and most importantly the "we'll work it out after a vote" scenario that is being offered.

Norway works with high taxes and the government owning 100% of the oil (from field to petrol station and every stage in between), BUT it took them 25 years to pay off the national debt which was a fraction of an independent Scotland's. The UK oil is set up completely different with the fields being effectively rented out to multi-national companies and a tax being levied on the final value, the bulk of the profit goes to the companies not the government. If an independent Scotland tries to Nationalise it expect it to firstly be in violation of EU law and secondary the oil companies switching to easier and cheaper oil fields. Norway also produces more oil & gas than the whole of the UK and employs more than the whole of the UK in this sector (either direct or indirect).

Most of the guys came across here as contractors, so earning high with accommodation paid and a tax discount, most either found a girl (or girls) and decided to stay, then the 40% tax hits you and having to pay accommodation, and paying doctors and hospitals! but by that time the decision has been made to settle here for the foreseeable future, so you bite the bullet.

If the Norway model is to work in Scotland expect ALLluxuries to be heavily taxed (£12 a pint, £1.50 a can of coke, £12 a bottle of wine in a shop £60 in a pub), wages to be taxed around 36-40% on basic and 50-55% on overtime! When this started in Norway (high taxes) was the start of the oil boom, so being taxed 36% on a wage was better than having no wage and very little social security payments! let's try putting this tax into Scotland, the £12 a pint would bring the government down straight away.

The Yes Campaign is being very cute but then with Nationalist politics that is always an easy route to court favour with the public. They have changed England to London and/or Westminster. They'll highlight some yahoo who is not the typical person from England (notice how they never have issues with Wales or Northern Ireland) and blow it out of all proportion. No difference from UKIP obsessing over a Romanian doing something wrong.

They demonise the Tories despite the SNP agreeing with a Neo-Liberal economic agenda, tax freezes, corporation tax cuts etc. A "right-wing" Westminster Government "forcing" their polices totally ignores the fact that between them the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats got more votes together than the SNP in the Westminster election. In addition it's Centre Right to Middle with the coalition. The areas that are ignored are the European Union and the legislative power it has over Scotland and UK and also the Holyrood Parliament with areas of health, education and transport devolved, more powers already voted to come in and more powers to come.

If you were to take a pop quiz and ask the population about currency, EU membership, pensions, jobs, defence the majority of people out there would say they are all important and would be dependent on how they would vote. The fact that the SNP cannot give any proof and will bring out the "scaremongering" tactic is poor. But they are able to deflect it away to an extent using that comment.

The future is not of Scotland taking control of it's own affairs. It will lose control over sterling as it will become a foreign country to UK and at the best will peg it like the great powerhouse of Panama does with the US Dollar. To get into the EU it must adopt the €uro like all new member states therefore huge control is given to Brussels. In addition it will still be impacted by areas like EU, G8, G20, big business and other areas outside it's control. "Taking control of it's own affairs" is such an open statement. Who is controlling what? I am not Scotland. I am an individual. I care about my job, my family and the money in my pocket. Some politian having more power in Edinburgh will not necessarily improve me, or make the decisions I want or care about me.

For the first time in my life I have been volunteering on a political basis and that is for "Better Together". If anyone asks me where I am from I will always say "Scotland". I am "Scottish" first. But I also like the being part of the UK. It's the "Best Of Both World's"! Something I have noticed as part of the campaign is a lot of people are pledging to vote "No" despite voting SNP for Holyrood elections. An interesting development.

• Like 2

The biggest fear is for passports for us ex-pats and our dependants and I know several guys who are actively looking into getting rUK passport in the event of a YES vote, with some even talking about pursuing Norwegian citizenship instead.

The other fears are Jobs, pension, currency (and value of savings) and complete reliance on oil (which is now starting to backfire here, but slowly), being part of the union is far better in most of our opinions for leverage in the international market, currency (sterling is accepted anywhere), and most importantly the "we'll work it out after a vote" scenario that is being offered.

Norway works with high taxes and the government owning 100% of the oil (from field to petrol station and every stage in between), BUT it took them 25 years to pay off the national debt which was a fraction of an independent Scotland's. The UK oil is set up completely different with the fields being effectively rented out to multi-national companies and a tax being levied on the final value, the bulk of the profit goes to the companies not the government. If an independent Scotland tries to Nationalise it expect it to firstly be in violation of EU law and secondary the oil companies switching to easier and cheaper oil fields. Norway also produces more oil & gas than the whole of the UK and employs more than the whole of the UK in this sector (either direct or indirect).

Most of the guys came across here as contractors, so earning high with accommodation paid and a tax discount, most either found a girl (or girls) and decided to stay, then the 40% tax hits you and having to pay accommodation, and paying doctors and hospitals! but by that time the decision has been made to settle here for the foreseeable future, so you bite the bullet.

If the Norway model is to work in Scotland expect ALLluxuries to be heavily taxed (£12 a pint, £1.50 a can of coke, £12 a bottle of wine in a shop £60 in a pub), wages to be taxed around 36-40% on basic and 50-55% on overtime! When this started in Norway (high taxes) was the start of the oil boom, so being taxed 36% on a wage was better than having no wage and very little social security payments! let's try putting this tax into Scotland, the £12 a pint would bring the government down straight away.

Hahahahahah.

Haven't you heard yet? Project Fear isn't working. You forgot to add passport controls at the border between Scotland and England, no more Dr Who in Scotland, Scottish airports becoming potential bombing target for rUK. "The Best of Both Worlds." Trips off the tongue nicely, doesn't it? But the decades of lies, over North Sea oil's value, about Scotland being too poor, too wee, too stupid to seriously consider another path, the decades of plundering from Scottish taxes to pay for massive infrastructure projects that benefit only parts of England (think the Millenium Dome, think the London Olympics, think HS2, think the European grants for Eurotunnel that were meant to ensure a direct route to Scotland......); the decades of lies are now having their consequences, as Scots realize that they certainly do not have the best of both worlds. For everyone of these projects we got fed the lies that Scotland would benefit enormously..... Yes, "The Best of Both Worlds." Enjoy your fantasy while it lasts.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Hahahahahah.

Haven't you heard yet? Project Fear isn't working. You forgot to add passport controls at the border between Scotland and England, no more Dr Who in Scotland, Scottish airports becoming potential bombing target for rUK. "The Best of Both Worlds." Trips off the tongue nicely, doesn't it? But the decades of lies, over North Sea oil's value, about Scotland being too poor, too wee, too stupid to seriously consider another path, the decades of plundering from Scottish taxes to pay for massive infrastructure projects that benefit only parts of England (think the Millenium Dome, think the London Olympics, think HS2, think the European grants for Eurotunnel that were meant to ensure a direct route to Scotland......); the decades of lies are now having their consequences, as Scots realize that they certainly do not have the best of both worlds. For everyone of these projects we got fed the lies that Scotland would benefit enormously..... Yes, "The Best of Both Worlds." Enjoy your fantasy while it lasts.

Great debate from you, you certainly articulate your reasoning well.

Explain to me exactly what will happen to our UK and EU passport if we break from the UK and the EU, mine expires in 4 years so is very relevant to me and thousands in my situation.

Project Fear is more tripe from the Nats who (like yourself) no longer can debate a point, merely state it's false even if evidence or statements back up the points they make are correct

Hahahahahah.

Great debate from you, you certainly articulate your reasoning well.

Explain to me exactly what will happen to our UK and EU passport if we break from the UK and the EU, mine expires in 4 years so is very relevant to me and thousands in my situation.

Project Fear is more tripe from the Nats who (like yourself) no longer can debate a point, merely state it's false even if evidence or statements back up the points they make are correct

The way you put it Jaggernaut the current situation sounds cataclysmic...

I repeat that the No campaign has said that Scotland COULD go independent, but thinks Scotland is better off as part of the UK. I have not heard anyone say we are too small or stupid.

I do not think that the UK or EU are perfect, but I do believe we are better off being part of these unions in the global perspective. I am happy to question opinions from the No campaign.

Is there anything in the White Paper you question?

GI - I would be very surprised if the No campaign described themselves as Project Fear. If you are correct and have proof then I take that one back. However, my point is that the more they trot out the same response the more dangerous it is for them. It all sounds like PR "experts" have told them to say these soundbites, if you say things again and again, people might start to believe you...

To be fair to the No campaign they have said that Scotland could go independent in theory, but state that they believe Scotland is better off within the Union. I do not see that as hysterical.

Robertson's comments were bizarre in my opinion. Maybe that's where you and I differ. I am open to questioning all sides of the argument, even if it is coming from a fellow Unionist. I hear too many on the Yes side accepting everything Salmond says.

According to the Herald they do. Or did.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/one-year-on-will-better-together-change-their-tactics.21402294

Unionist politicians have, grudgingly, admitted that Scotland could survive as an independent nation, but only fairly recently. After the SNP started winning elections the penny finally dropped Scottish people don't particularly like being told they are shite and it isn't what they believe anyway

Lord Robertson's comments certainly were bizarre (that's putting it mildly) as were Phillip Hammond's remarks the other day about alien invasions. There have also been comments made about speed limits, time zones, civil unrest, ethnic cleansing, mobile phone roaming charges, border posts and not being allowed to watch certain TV programmes.

It is even happening on here. Eight or nine months ago Norgethistle used to make quite reasonable posts on this subject. Now he is gibbering about £12 pints and making up stories about SNP MSPs racially abusing English people!

OK - thanks for the link, GI. A bit tenuous, but I'll offer that one to you

I guess this and some of the more alarmist opinions from the No side sum up their problem. In theory, they are together, but they seem a rather disparate, rudderless group where anyone is free to make any sort of statement.

The Yes campaign does seem well-drilled, hence the same bland responses and soundbites when questioned. My previous point stands - the longer they trot out the same lines, the less people will value the contributions.

I, maybe not you, hope the No campaign starts showing a bit more thought. Question the issues, but in a more thoughtful manner and have a proper team directing it all. I suspect the No majority would increase a lot more...

The way you put it Jaggernaut the current situation sounds cataclysmic...

I repeat that the No campaign has said that Scotland COULD go independent, but thinks Scotland is better off as part of the UK. I have not heard anyone say we are too small or stupid.

I do not think that the UK or EU are perfect, but I do believe we are better off being part of these unions in the global perspective. I am happy to question opinions from the No campaign.

Is there anything in the White Paper you question?

What I believe is that most of the "No" spokespersons mean is that the UK is better off with Scotland as a part of it, wholly financed and constrained by Westminster; a source of revenue, a place to dump their nuclear garbage, and a source of cannon fodder for when they next go to take swipes against Johnny Foreigner.

There are plenty of questions over how an independent Scotland will evolve. And there are plenty of questions about how much worse a deal our country will get from Westminster in the future, especially if Scots are daft enough to vote for continued rule by another country, in other words, asking for even more of the abuse they have had until now.

Jaggernaut - that is your understanding of the issue. If it were that bad as you put it and we are getting such a bad deal, why does the majority of Scots want to be part of the Union?! Are we No-voters too stupid?

Being part of a Union, UK/EU (or international organisation, eg. NATO) is about give and take. In some things you do well, in some others you do not. Unfortunately, that is international politics in the modern world.

Please do not call our dead armed forces canon fodder. I am sure their families and current service personnel would not take kindly to such remarks. The second Iraq war was not supported but Iraq 1 and Afganistan were both wars in which even a Scottish army would have participated in a joint NATO operation.

Is there anything in the White Paper that you question?

Jaggernaut - that is your understanding of the issue. If it were that bad as you put it and we are getting such a bad deal, why does the majority of Scots want to be part of the Union?! Are we No-voters too stupid?

Being part of a Union, UK/EU (or international organisation, eg. NATO) is about give and take. In some things you do well, in some others you do not. Unfortunately, that is international politics in the modern world.

Please do not call our dead armed forces canon fodder. I am sure their families and current service personnel would not take kindly to such remarks. The second Iraq war was not supported but Iraq 1 and Afganistan were both wars in which even a Scottish army would have participated in a joint NATO operation.

Is there anything in the White Paper that you question?

Who said the majority of Scots want to be part of the union? The polls that got it so spectacularly wrong when they predicted a landslide victory for Labour when the SNP won to form the government? Believe them if you like.

We have different views on British foreign policy. The 1st WW was also "supported" (through badgering, pressure and propaganda), but cannon f. they were.

There are several issues in the white paper that I would question, for example in relation to justice and to the environment. But there are many fewer things than I question about the power that Westminster exerts about our everyday lives, down to the fact that the BBC is instructed about how the independence debate should be put across, and how the media are instructed not to emphasise that scandal. And to conveniently all the lies and forgotten promises about how Scotland would benefit from massive English infrastructure projects, of the kind that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Well done Jaggernaut, I am glad to see you are beginning to talk about the issues. What do you not agree upon in terms of justice and the environment? Do we not have our own legal system at the moment? There may well be something to do with justice that I am looking over here, so forgive me if I am being too simplistic.

In terms of polls, I have yet to see a poll on independence where the majority has not been No. As you well know the last Scottish elections were not a referendum on independence. If it was, it would still have resulted in a majority No. The last UK elections were even worse for the SNP.

Please, tell us how the BBC has been instructed to do anything. You are sounding more and more paranoid.

WW1 was undoubtedly horrific for all sides. Surely a war a century ago is not forming your opinion on the current situation?

I respect your wish for Scotland to become independent. I do question the reasoning why you think that way, but that is your choice. Suffice to say we agree to disagree on this! I respect you more on your choice of football team..!

Hahahahahah.

Any answers yet on what will happen with the following

• Passports
  • Cross-border taxation (As happens with NI and the Eire, and Sweden and Norway)
  • Cross-border pensions (As happens currently between 2 different countries in the EU), with double dip taxing
  • Immigration, Salmond has stated he wants to grow the country to 6 million, now that will impact the rUK if Scotland is seen as a fast track to the island and possibly Europe.
  • Defense contracts which put a hell of a lot of money to the Scottish economy, through the likes of Rolls, BAE etc, the UK has always attempted to where possible have its defense manufacturing within the UK and I am sure the rUK will do the same.
  • Currency, what will we trade in?? The rUK have said no to sterling and the EU have stated membership will not be automatic, or will we go with a "Panama Dollar" scenario

You mention the things that only benefit the parts of England, but what about the commonwealth games (£550 million), that doesn't benefit England, or the Scottish Government spending £500 million on trams for Edinburgh but won't spend on a rail link for Glasgow airport at a fraction of the cost, yet is happy to spend nearly £3 million on Gaelic rail signs for all of Scotlands train stations even though it has never been spoken as a native tongue in the majority of the country and only 59000 speaking it (Less than Polish), what benefit is that for the other 4 million residents of Scotland?

• Passports
  • Cross-border taxation (As happens with NI and the Eire, and Sweden and Norway)
  • Cross-border pensions (As happens currently between 2 different countries in the EU), with double dip taxing
  • Immigration, Salmond has stated he wants to grow the country to 6 million, now that will impact the rUK if Scotland is seen as a fast track to the island and possibly Europe.
  • Defense contracts which put a hell of a lot of money to the Scottish economy, through the likes of Rolls, BAE etc, the UK has always attempted to where possible have its defense manufacturing within the UK and I am sure the rUK will do the same.
  • Currency, what will we trade in?? The rUK have said no to sterling and the EU have stated membership will not be automatic, or will we go with a "Panama Dollar" scenario

Any answers yet on

• Whether or not we will retain the Barnet Formula
  • What the mysterious 'guaranteed' new powers are that the Lab-Con partners have agreed on for the Scottish Parliament
  • How the democratic deficits, of the West Lothian question or the fact that we don't vote Tory but end up with Tory governments, will shape up in Dave and Gideon's 'good cop bad cop' future
  • Will we still be in the EU after the in-out referendum in 2017 that could remove us from the grasp of the evil 'johnny foreigner'

or even

Will we finish above Ross County or St Mirren - at least (most of us can agree) in this regard - in Archie we trust!!

• Passports

Any answers yet on

• Whether or not we will retain the Barnet Formulaotland contributed I thought Scotland contributed more than it took out, so do we need it
  • What the mysterious 'guaranteed' new powers are that the Lab-Con partners have agreed on for the Scottish Parliament Not as mysterious as how an independant Scotland will answer all the pressing questions
  • How the democratic deficits, of the West Lothian question or the fact that we don't vote Tory but end up with Tory governments, will shape up in Dave and Gideon's 'good cop bad cop' future The north west and east of England never voted Tory, and we have only had a Tory Government for 3 of the last 20 years
  • Will we still be in the EU after the in-out referendum in 2017 that could remove us from the grasp of the evil 'johnny foreigner' Being out the EU worked for Norway why not for the UK

or even

Will we finish above Ross County or St Mirren - at least (most of us can agree) in this regard - in Archie we trust!!Both and Killie and Hibs

Edited by Norgethistle