Motherwell V Partick Thistle - Firpark - Saturday 15 February - 3Pm K.o.

jagfox

Ah well back to Thistle duty on Saturday. A tough match in prospect but the squad may have benefitted from a short break and it will have given the coaching staff to work on a few things with the new lads as well.

How will we line up? Will Archie have a new formation in place or maybe refined his favoured formation?

Still not fired up for this one but I'm sure I'll have that Thistle feeling by bedtime on Friday evening ;)

Not expecting to take anything from this game, but there's always that little voice telling you we can sneak a point here.

We will line up with our usual formation. I don't see any point in changing it away from home, against a good side. Too many questions on how the midfield would line up if we went 2 up front. Our standard formation has been doing the business away from home, so let's keep doing that with a slightly better team in place.

Some selection headaches in a good way. Does McMillan keep his place at RB? He was pretty rotten against DU, but SOD didn't do much to stake a claim when he came on either. Stick with Bannigan and Fraser in the middle? They played well in there together once Prince was pushed further forward. Who takes the attacking mid slots? Doolan or Taylor up top?

I'd go with this. Think Doolan's touch and link up play with Erskine could cause problems on the break.

-----------------Gallacher--------------------

McMillan----Mair--------Balatoni------ATS

-----------Fraser-------Bannigan-----------

Erskine-----------Prince-------------Higgy

------------------Doolan----------------

• Like 1

who drops out the squad if erskine is back? elliot to the bench but someone will not even be on the subs bench, guess it'll be moncur.

can't see it being anyone else.

I make it 17 serious contenders for 16 outfield places (I haven't included Welsh). To my mind only Mair, ATS & Bannigan are certs to start while Bauben , Taylor & Balatoni are more than likely to also start. Stick with Gallacher in goals and that leaves eleven players chasing four starting slots. Of those eleven I think Elliott is the most unlikely starter along with Gabriel. After you've chosen between McMillan & SOD we've still got Lawless, Doolan, Higgy, Erskine, Fraser, Moncur, Craigen & possibly even Muirhead if considered a midfielder. I guess then that Gabriel will miss out completely and Muirhead will be on the bench as he can play two roles.

If it wasn't for our present league position I'd be really chuffed that we've got such a depth to our midfield and attack.

• Like 1

Not expecting to take anything from this game, but there's always that little voice telling you we can sneak a point here.

-----------------Gallacher--------------------

McMillan----Mair--------Balatoni------ATS

-----------Fraser-------Bannigan-----------

Erskine-----------Prince-------------Higgy

------------------Doolan----------------

I reckon Archie might drop Higgy for Taylor and go two up for this one. Other than that, I reckon you're pretty close with that formation. We've nothing to lose against this lot. McCall's got them playing well and it will take a good counter attacking performance to catch them on an off day. It could be like Tynecastle this one. MOn eh Jags!

I think, and hope, we'll go with two up front. Now that we have Bauben in midfield we can have Bannigan, Bauben, and Fraser to cover midfield. Leaving Doolan and Taylor to play up front with Esrkine in behind. This should give more space to our full backs, but the three in midfield just need to be disciplined to support our full backs. Seems a good balance to me and we know we'll create with the understand Doolan and Erskine have. I don't think this is any less defensive than the formation we've been playing. McMillan stays because he's a better defender. Higgy dropped because he's not been producing an end product.

Gallacher

McMillan - Mair - Balatoni - Sinclair

Fraser - Bauben - Bannigan

Erskine

Doolan - Taylor

Edited by simoncordiner

I make it 17 serious contenders for 16 outfield places (I haven't included Welsh). To my mind only Mair, ATS & Bannigan are certs to start while Bauben , Taylor & Balatoni are more than likely to also start. Stick with Gallacher in goals and that leaves eleven players chasing four starting slots. Of those eleven I think Elliott is the most unlikely starter along with Gabriel. After you've chosen between McMillan & SOD we've still got Lawless, Doolan, Higgy, Erskine, Fraser, Moncur, Craigen & possibly even Muirhead if considered a midfielder. I guess then that Gabriel will miss out completely and Muirhead will be on the bench as he can play two roles.

If it wasn't for our present league position I'd be really chuffed that we've got such a depth to our midfield and attack.

subs for the united game wer Fox, Muirhead, Lawless, Doolan, Craigen, Moncur, SOD and I doubt the players that started against united will not even make the bench so still wonder who is out the squad for Erskines return.

subs for the united game wer Fox, Muirhead, Lawless, Doolan, Craigen, Moncur, SOD and I doubt the players that started against united will not even make the bench so still wonder who is out the squad for Erskines return.

Moncur has been playing for the U20s. Archie will probably go for experience so I expect him to drop out.

I got the arithmetic wrong in previous post it's eighteen outfield players chasing the sixteen slots, Possibly will be Moncur dropping out along with Gabriel. Only thing being he was good enough for the bench last time and has upped his match fitness since.

A Motherwell supporting colleague rates the game as 50-50 with regards to it going ahead as he says the pitch is very waterlogged. I guess we will find out soon enough

Motherwell seem to be quite positive about the game going ahead. They seem more involved in getting the pitch in better nick than against Aberdeen.

..................Gallagher...............

Mcmillan.....mair.....balatoni.....ATS

...............Fraser........bannigan.......

Lawless...................................higginbotham

......................erskine...................

.....................Taylor...................

Would probably be my choice to start. Couple of players in there who could probably have done with the week or so rest I.e Taylor who was beginning to look pretty tired in the last 30 mins of the previous few games. Lawless looked like he could cause them a few problems in the opening 20 at firhill before the floodgates opened. Another good start is important as I feel if we go behind, Motherwell will be too smart to allow us back in to it. It's also encouraging to look at our bench now and feel we genuinely have players who can come on and make a difference instead of swapping dools for Baird or higgy for Forbes and hoping something might happen. Feels like we've got a proper squad of 16 now that all offer us something different so even if it doesn't happen against well, I'm confident for the remainder of the season!

Mon the jags!!!

I think, and hope, we'll go with two up front. Now that we have Bauben in midfield we can have Bannigan, Bauben, and Fraser to cover midfield. Leaving Doolan and Taylor to play up front with Esrkine in behind. This should give more space to our full backs, but the three in midfield just need to be disciplined to support our full backs. Seems a good balance to me and we know we'll create with the understand Doolan and Erskine have. I don't think this is any less defensive than the formation we've been playing. McMillan stays because he's a better defender. Higgy dropped because he's not been producing an end product.

Gallacher

McMillan - Mair - Balatoni - Sinclair

Fraser - Bauben - Bannigan

Erskine

Doolan - Taylor

I like this team for what is (probably) going to be a terrible pitch today. Would rather Gabby than Conrad personally but reckon this could do the business.

ETA: Also SO'D instead of McMillan.

Also also remarkable to think that Fox has been so easily replaced by Gallacher.

Edited by jags365

Does anybody actually think that we might win this one? Usually there are some optimists who have a good feeling about getting a victory, but they seem to be thin on the ground this week! January was supposed to be the month when a few victories would have boosted the team, but with the exception of beating the crap tarts, we failed to get those wins, yet again.

With Aberdeen next week, is the general feeling now that we are destined for 11th place?

Does anybody actually think that we might win this one? Usually there are some optimists who have a good feeling about getting a victory, but they seem to be thin on the ground this week! January was supposed to be the month when a few victories would have boosted the team, but with the exception of beating the crap tarts, we failed to get those wins, yet again.

With Aberdeen next week, is the general feeling now that we are destined for 11th place?

I still reckon Killie/St Midden are the teams to catch. County should be able to make themsevles safe given the number of signings - really just Kiss - but before the start of the season I would have been pretty surprised if we were to beat Motherwell at Fir Park,

If we score early though (given they haven't played for 3 weeks) I think we can get something from today. Certainly not another 5-1 on the cards anyway.