Motherwell V Partick Thistle - Firpark - Saturday 15 February - 3Pm K.o.

jagfox

If Higgy isn't injured or knackered then he has to stay on at a time the game is so stretched.

His pace for counter attacks is perfect when the game is like this.

I don't know how badly the defence were today but you defend as a team and everyone has to take responsibility.

A hard one to takefor the fans and players but it's done now and the team needs to move on to the next game and believe they can still get the job done

• Like 1

FWIW, it seems to me that this team really isn't very good at defending, but was told to do so and hit on the break from the start. As a result, the first 20 minutes or so was largely turgid long-ball stuff on a very muddy pitch, during which period we gave the ball away incessantly. I don't think that kind of approach plays to our strengths, particularly in those poor conditions. Once the passing game began, then we started to move ahead.

Both sides of the defence, but particularly the right side, looked weak, and those were where Motherwell's chances and goals were coming from. In my opinion, McMillan in particular was exposed and there seemed to be little backing for him from midfield. If Higginbotham and Erskine are going to swap wings, then they'll have to be better organised than this.

Given that when Elliott and Craigen were brought on, we were in the lead in the final 10 minutes and didn't seem to have any more need for creativity further up the park, the substitutions were understandable, although in the end they led to our downfall.

A special mention for the referee, Euan Norris, who funked out of what should have been an early booking for handball in the first half, gave Motherwell a free kick for backing into and falling over one of our players in midfield and, of course, didn't see the handball in the box - unlike everyone else in the ground. (That's probably why he felt obliged to give a penalty soon after, when ATS was brought down rather theatrically, despite not looking as if he'd reach the ball he'd pushed too far ahead.)

The message from all this? It's time to encourage more attacking football from the start: this team is better at it.

• Like 1