Motherwell V Partick Thistle - Firpark - Saturday 15 February - 3Pm K.o.

jagfox

FWIW, it seems to me that this team really isn't very good at defending, but was told to do so and hit on the break from the start. As a result, the first 20 minutes or so was largely turgid long-ball stuff on a very muddy pitch, during which period we gave the ball away incessantly. I don't think that kind of approach plays to our strengths, particularly in those poor conditions. Once the passing game began, then we started to move ahead.

Both sides of the defence, but particularly the right side, looked weak, and those were where Motherwell's chances and goals were coming from. In my opinion, McMillan in particular was exposed and there seemed to be little backing for him from midfield. If Higginbotham and Erskine are going to swap wings, then they'll have to be better organised than this.

Given that when Elliott and Craigen were brought on, we were in the lead in the final 10 minutes and didn't seem to have any more need for creativity further up the park, the substitutions were understandable, although in the end they led to our downfall.

A special mention for the referee, Euan Norris, who funked out of what should have been an early booking for handball in the first half, gave Motherwell a free kick for backing into and falling over one of our players in midfield and, of course, didn't see the handball in the box - unlike everyone else in the ground. (That's probably why he felt obliged to give a penalty soon after, when ATS was brought down rather theatrically, despite not looking as if he'd reach the ball he'd pushed too far ahead.)

The message from all this? It's time to encourage more attacking football from the start: this team is better at it.

Don't quite agree about the pen. A more stonewall pen would be hard to find

Thought ATS ran into the guy and surprised we got it. The problem is the management. We have a decent squad who are constantly being tinkered about with, And and subject to unnecessary substitutions. We failed to sign an experienced central defender in August, instead signing a young, inexperienced Mexican with absolutely no knowledge of the Scottish game, and our marquee signing in January throws our best player on the bench to perform Bairds former role. I'm very much a half full man but we appear to be naively charging towards the play offs and Archie's sighs and hard luck yarns are becoming tiresome. Don't know if sacking him would be any good but if we're all repeating ourselves come March then it may have to be done. I also feel David Cameron should shoulder the blame, as it appears fashionable to hold him responsible for most things that are rubbish these days.

FWIW, it seems to me that this team really isn't very good at defending, but was told to do so and hit on the break from the start. As a result, the first 20 minutes or so was largely turgid long-ball stuff on a very muddy pitch, during which period we gave the ball away incessantly. I don't think that kind of approach plays to our strengths, particularly in those poor conditions. Once the passing game began, then we started to move ahead.

Both sides of the defence, but particularly the right side, looked weak, and those were where Motherwell's chances and goals were coming from. In my opinion, McMillan in particular was exposed and there seemed to be little backing for him from midfield. If Higginbotham and Erskine are going to swap wings, then they'll have to be better organised than this.

Given that when Elliott and Craigen were brought on, we were in the lead in the final 10 minutes and didn't seem to have any more need for creativity further up the park, the substitutions were understandable, although in the end they led to our downfall.

A special mention for the referee, Euan Norris, who funked out of what should have been an early booking for handball in the first half, gave Motherwell a free kick for backing into and falling over one of our players in midfield and, of course, didn't see the handball in the box - unlike everyone else in the ground. (That's probably why he felt obliged to give a penalty soon after, when ATS was brought down rather theatrically, despite not looking as if he'd reach the ball he'd pushed too far ahead.)

The message from all this? It's time to encourage more attacking football from the start: this team is better at it.

Totally agree with you. The long ball nonsense feels like being put in a time machine and watching Norway back in the day. We're not very good at it either. The second half was way better because we did what we're good at and what I want to watch, our decent passing game. The first non-awarded penalty was the clearest hand ball I've seen in many years watching football.

Also, McMillan has been an absolute disaster at right back, how he gets a start is beyond me. Always out of position.

Have to agree with this as well. He was the same in the Dundee Utd game-out of position, wrong side of his man, leaving the opposition huge amounts of free running space. Not impressed with him.

I'm sorry but any team that features Elliot isn't going to win. No coincidence this last 15 odd games we've been getting barely any wins and its exactly when Elliot started being back in the team. No coincidence either today - soon as I saw the subs I knew we were going to concede - although I didnt think two!

You defend from the front and bringing on Craigen and Elliot for Erskine and Higginbotham, weakens our defence - not only can the latter make more tackles but they also hold the ball up front and surely the best way to defend is to have possesion.

By all accounts we really need two new central defenders in the summer and I'm concerned with Muirhead Balatoni Piccolo and Muir all on the books, with Lyndsey and Brownlie coming through - Archie will need to do some amount of business to make space.

Higginbotham must be desparate to get away from us - he is well well above our level and I feel sorry for him putting in his performances week in week out with not the same commitment to win by the rest of the team.

Major questions over Archie.

Get Elliot rid, please.

Also, McMillan has been an absolute disaster at right back, how he gets a start is beyond me. Always out of position.

Agreed, for all his faults I'd much rathe have S O'D, at least he can usually carry a threat when he comes forward, could never understand all the pro-MacMillan, not that I'm anti- him I hasten to add just think S O'D's the better football player and has more potential.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but any team that features Elliot isn't going to win. No coincidence this last 15 odd games we've been getting barely any wins and its exactly when Elliot started being back in the team. No coincidence either today - soon as I saw the subs I knew we were going to concede - although I didnt think two!

You defend from the front and bringing on Craigen and Elliot for Erskine and Higginbotham, weakens our defence - not only can the latter make more tackles but they also hold the ball up front and surely the best way to defend is to have possesion.

By all accounts we really need two new central defenders in the summer and I'm concerned with Muirhead Balatoni Piccolo and Muir all on the books, with Lyndsey and Brownlie coming through - Archie will need to do some amount of business to make space.

Higginbotham must be desparate to get away from us - he is well well above our level and I feel sorry for him putting in his performances week in week out with not the same commitment to win by the rest of the team.

Major questions over Archie.

Get Elliot rid, please.

Have you been to any games this season? What a load of crap, if you are there look forward to the green bit of turf in the middle not the pie stall you might be able to form a better more valid opinion.

How you could blame Elliot for being on the bench is incredible, you obviously missed the huge deflection for the first goal or the wofall pass by Prince for the second. Never mind the radio or sky sports don't give this detail and you don't have an opinion other than the one before the game started. Well done stand forward as you are the one we have been waiting for to fix the problem. Thank god you are out there.

Agreed, for all his faults I'd much rathe have S O'D, at least he can usually carry a threat when he comes forward, could never understand all the pro-MacMillan, not that I'm anti- him I hasten to add just think S O'D's the better football player and has more potential.

Everything that motherwell had came from the right in the first half thanks to McMillan constantly playing as a centre half. Get out on the right hand side ya d*ddy.

Gutted beyond belief but not surprised, as has been said the way the game was going we looked like scoring again yet three subs to change the game and we lost it.

Also have to add the stewards were a disgrace, we score and their wee prepubescent fans lose the plot yet they the surround the bottom right away end with stewards for the rest of the game for what??so we can be goaded after they score twice and they ignore it? Well done motherwell amateur club with the pitch inspection And then stewarding.

That's the trouble with opinion SoD can't defend for toffee yet he is touted as the answer for a game where we are being criticised for not defending well and seeing it out. Sure we can put out the auld adage that attack is the best form of defence but we ain't in primary any more.

Let's be honest with our views lads, half hearted tripe doesn't help anyone.

Have you been to any games this season? What a load of crap, if you are there look forward to the green bit of turf in the middle not the pie stall you might be able to form a better more valid opinion.

How you could blame Elliot for being on the bench is incredible, you obviously missed the huge deflection for the first goal or the wofall pass by Prince for the second. Never mind the radio or sky sports don't give this detail and you don't have an opinion other than the one before the game started. Well done stand forward as you are the one we have been waiting for to fix the problem. Thank god you are out there.

I'm a season ticket holder and been to many away games aswell. You complete pleb.

I'm a season ticket holder and been to many away games aswell. You complete pleb.

Where you at today's game? Interesting you know I am a pleb based on a few lines of text, what gave it away or was it the resemblance of yourself you recognised.

Interesting you react so badly to criticism yet feel it's appropriate to dish it out to those who don't have a right if reply.

According to Sky Sports Motherwell's winner came from a free header. Any team will struggle if they can't even do the basics properly.

Well thats crap, free header from where? 15 yards with a centre half challenging? I suggest you follow a more accurate source from now on.i was there saw it and it was a taller man beat a shorter man to the ball.genetics is a bitch eh.

Utterly desolated after that.

Everthing thats good and bad about us in one game.

The best signing we could have made in January would have been the best Sports Psychlogist we could afford.There is absolutley no belief in that team that they can win a game now.

Not going to look at the highlights,read the papers or listen to anything said about that game. I want it totally wiped from my memory.Much more damaging than the 5-1 game.

Utterly desolated after that.

Everthing thats good and bad about us in one game.

The best signing we could have made in January would have been the best Sports Psychlogist we could afford.There is absolutley no belief in that team that they can win a game now.

Not going to look at the highlights,read the papers or listen to anything said about that game. I want it totally wiped from my memory.Much more damaging than the 5-1 game.

You are a very angry man but I agree ( just in case u hunt me down and batter me with a nail studded baseball bat).

Whether to pick McMillan or SOD is like having to choose what's best between a kick in the nut or a punch in the nuts.

Craigen should have been nowhere near the team today.

Lawless, Muirhead, Moncur or Wilson would have all been better choices from the bench but Archibald has to give him mate a run out even if it risks costing us 3 valuable points..

Another heroic failure where he can put the blame on the team. Archiballs time is up.

Whether to pick McMillan or SOD is like having to choose what's best between a kick in the nut or a punch in the nuts.

Craigen should have been nowhere near the team today.

Lawless, Muirhead, Moncur or Wilson would have all been better choices from the bench but Archibald has to give him mate a run out even if it risks costing us 3 valuable points..

Another heroic failure where he can put the blame on the team. Archiballs time is up.

Have you ever seen moncur play? Don't imagine you'd get to many west ham reserve games.