Motherwell V Partick Thistle - Firpark - Saturday 15 February - 3Pm K.o.

jagfox

You've got to laugh.. reading the comments from those watching on the web or where ever, was right out of Skys "count down to disaster" only we've made it easy for any crime scene investigator. All you have to do is scroll back to "Elliott and Craigen", then its CRASH BANG WALLOP, The end

I take it both of them knocked you back at the PotY dance then..... I thought it was just Craigen before.

You are a very angry man but I agree ( just in case u hunt me down and batter me with a nail studded baseball bat).

Promised myself I wouldnt watch the highlights but had to because of Higgys goal.

The defending is even worse than I thought.The space Balatoni gave McFadden is unbeliveable and Mair doesnt get off the deck for the last two.Terrible defending on the wings too letting the crosses come in .

Really wonder about the standard of coaching at Firhill.To see a defender backing off an atacker so much inside the box that he actually increases the space between them is dreadful.Also, IMO , a full back's first job on a football pitch is to stop the feckin crosses coming into the box.

If the managment cant sort out these basic faults in our defensive set ups then they should get a defensive coach that can.

• Like 1

Was not at the game,so just watched the highlights. A couple of times you could see McMillan tucking in far to close to the center half's.

It looks like he is hiding. He should be on the right touch line stopping the attacker get to the buy line.

Erty13

Sorry but that's a very simplistic way of looking at things.

McMillan was far too central in the 1st half (hard to tell in the 2nd half when he's 80yards away). It does strike me as he doesn't want to be exposed at RB due to his relative lack of pace & prefers the comfort of being more central. You'll get away with it sometimes but if a team has a good LB/LM, they could easily find themselves strolling in to the box before a challenge is made on them (as happened a good few times in the 1st half yesterday). Erskine & Higgy had to track back a great deal to cover for McMillan being more central but they're not going to do that all the time.

McMillan was far too central in the 1st half (hard to tell in the 2nd half when he's 80yards away). It does strike me as he doesn't want to be exposed at RB due to his relative lack of pace & prefers the comfort of being more central. You'll get away with it sometimes but if a team has a good LB/LM, they could easily find themselves strolling in to the box before a challenge is made on them (as happened a good few times in the 1st half yesterday). Erskine & Higgy had to track back a great deal to cover for McMillan being more central but they're not going to do that all the time.

Is that not why Archie swapped higgy and Erskine, because Erskine wasn't tracking back to cover anier(?) and higgy offered more defensive cover?

That fact is, no one knows what Archie asks specifically of certain players. For all we know he's asking Mcmillan to step inside to revert to 3 CH's when defending.

That would confirm why he was previously playing Elliott ahead of lawless on the right... To cover mcmillNs space as lawless is poor going back.

Is that not why Archie swapped higgy and Erskine, because Erskine wasn't tracking back to cover anier(?) and higgy offered more defensive cover?

That fact is, no one knows what Archie asks specifically of certain players. For all we know he's asking Mcmillan to step inside to revert to 3 CH's when defending.

That would confirm why he was previously playing Elliott ahead of lawless on the right... To cover mcmillNs space as lawless is poor going back.

Much as I saw it. McMillan adopted the same position up at Tannadice. No coincidence that United are very strong on their left wing. A tricky pacy winger prefers the full back near the touchline. If he beats him early even one time out of three he'll cause problems.

I'm far from saying that McMillan was doing a sterling job but I doubt he was culpable of being caught out of position so blatantly as a lot were suggesting.

I'm not so sure if Higgy and Erskine switching would be purely for defensive cover. Personally I've been a wee bit critical of the wide attack being too rigid and was glad to see more flexibility. For instance both players were central for the first goal .

The TV highlights omitted quite a lot of goal mouth action in particular a chance missed by Higgy for a hat-trick when the score was 3-2 and we were running Motherwell ragged. I'd like to have seen it again as it looked to be a really good scoring opportunity from near the penalty spot from a cut back but he skied it well over the bar. Not being over-critical as he had a fantastic game, but did anyone capture it on their mobile phone?