Nomad Newsletter - Seeking Input Re Saturday Meeting

Shuggie

Here is a transcript of the latest Nomad Newsletter. If you are a distant fan but not one of the registered Nomads, this note may be of some interest.

Hi Nomads,

I’m writing to you all following receipt of an invite to a Club Meeting to be held this coming Saturday. I seek your reaction and your input – especially with regard to point 5 below.

Clearly the Nomads are seen as a Supporter’s Group worthy of an invite. (The idea is that Federated supporters groups share some common needs/wants/motivators/etc)

Here is the invite:

Dear Hugh

Partick Thistle Football Club Ltd would like to invite two representatives from Partick Thistle's Global Supporters Club, to a meeting of supporter’s clubs on Saturday February 22. The meeting will take place in the learning suite at Firhill Stadium (accessible through the main stadium entrance), commencing at 1:00pm, and should take no longer than an hour with sandwiches and refreshments being provided.

At the meeting there will be a formal presentation from the club which will cover a number of topics, including:

1. An update on the current status of the TAG scheme and where we go from here.

2. How the club plans to grow its fan base as well as its presence in the community.

3. Fan engagement and the formation of a supporter’s federation

4. Making yourself heard – feedback to the board

5. Questions from the floor – please note, if you would like any particular issues included in this section please submit them to the club ([email protected]) in advance for inclusion on the day.

Representatives from the club will include:

· Greig Brown – Club Director

· Jim Alexander – Club Marketing Director

We hope that you will be able to attend and look forward to an interesting and productive discussion.

Please confirm attendance by return.

Kind regards,

Partick Thistle

I hope you’ll recall our previous newsletter exchanges on the TAG initiative ( see the PTFC website http://ptfc.co.uk/tag for details of its promotional launch.)

As individual Thistle Supporters we could certainly do our own thing and opt or one or other of the TAG packages.

As Nomads there was an added attraction of having the CORE package PLUS some goodies like

o Exclusive monthly manager's newsletter

o Matchday programmes available to download

o Access to a dedicated director (albeit over the web?)

Such a hybrid NOMAD package may well suit us for a middle ground price? I did not get much encouragement from the Club on this (“We trying to get the TAG thing launched as is initially”) Nevertheless, a good start for Saturday’s meeting questions.

You will doubtlessly know that the TAG initiative floundered for reasons we have yet to discover – which is, in my opinion, a crying shame.

A good idea though is still worth supporting and a resurgent TAG looks like a good idea – especially when see as part of the bigger whole as outlined in the agenda of this meeting. So I am in favour. Are you?

The invite got me thinking again of just who we are, we Nomads. We are growing in number and demographic too here and on Facebook too as well as being very well supported on www.wearethistle.co.uk .

The Club’s links to the wide world have hugely increased since we entered the SPFL.

Our Official Website is pretty good and we enjoy match text commentary both on it and through other sources such as the BBC

The Jags are on the TV. BBC ALBA also show live games. (Fine if you are UK based?)

The Evening Times has a section on us on its webpage http://www.eveningti...partick-thistle

The Daily Record website now contains a section “Glasgow Now” that has a section on the Jags http://www.dailyreco...%20thistle%20fc

The SPFL also gives out more info on us http://spfl.co.uk/premiership/

So what do we crave a Nomads versus our “objectives” of a few years back? What makes us Nomads with a common bond? I want to hear your voice wherever you are.

For me, its the inability to get to Firhill and see the Jags. If I could I would not be a Nomad. So being a Nomad is more than being a Jags supporter or belonging to a group for the sake of it. We are looking for ways to strengthen ties to our club that work for us and our unique needs. I say unique because of that inability to get to Firhill be it distance or personal circumstance.(illness, disability, work or life demands)

Although we have done really well in supporting the Jags through sponsorship and fund raising, there are still difficulties experienced in engaging with the Jags and gaining an effective working relationship with the Club beyond what we’ve managed to date. I hope this meeting will see the start of a change in that regard.

I am still searching for someone to attend this meeting to represent us (and yes I have e-mailed the Club to ask for a Skype link to the meeting as it would be ideal for Nomads)

So pour yourself a drink, settle down and have serious think about this.... THEN get back to me so I can collate your views and see whether we can come up with a list of questions I can e-mail to the club in good time. (as per point 5 above)

PLEASE ACT NOW

C’mon the Thistle!!

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

interesting input and contribution to a Celtic forum -- the question he asks could be asked of our club especially around commercial opperchancities !!

Auldheid

16:25 on 6 March, 2014

I saw whilst waiting for someone in the hospital cafe that the DR were apolgising for the loss of picture on their first venture into online single game purchase for on line broadcasting. Now whilst they can be mocked for a technology failure beyond their control they should be given a thoughtful hmmmm followed by is this how the msm press regain audience? Does the ability to broadcast single games picked up by one set of cameras but then delivered to the very audience that wants them and nothing else, chip away at the collective deal model?

If you think about it the old model of a clubs size that depended on its support and its support alone because geography was king, was broken when anybody could watch from anywhere. BUT they had no choice over what to watch, so money that came in through the gates under the old geographic model leaked out to other clubs whom many viewers do not support.

Is there a market for small broadcasting companies to spring up who supply the cameras and the technology to deliver the pictures to multi broadcast points like Celtic TV, who add their own brand and commentary but charge to watch on a PPV basis only and share with their opponents and pay a share of the camera crew?

As the cost of the cameras and hardware comes down as well as the cost of delivery is the technology that broke the old geographic model actually bringing about its return?

Think music. Think albums. Think DVDs. Think Ipods. Think buying only the one song you like instead of the whole album and downloading that song.

Think of what was 20 years ago. Think of accelerating change, accelerated by the previous technology. How far away is the customer chooses model?

I never thought I’d ever write this but did the Daily Record give us a glimpse of the future rather than reporting the past?