Hibs

jaggy

aye it was a terrible game, D Utd missing 2 pens aswell and the Hibs goal coming from Cerzniak punching it onto the Hibs guys knapper without him knowing anything about it! won't be fearing them at Firhill in 2 weeks time, hope to feck we get a good result tomorrow, then go into the hibs game all guns blazing.

Will taiwo be suspended against us after his red card last night?

Taiwo should only be suspended for Hibs game against Motherwell and, possibly, ICT if he has had picked up enough points.

Edited by kni

For all the arrogance that we're a better team than Hibs, neither the league table nor results between the teams so far support this. Being able to shitfest the odd game is in itself the mark of a decent if unspectacular side, and it's the reason why they're currently quite a sizeable 7 points ahead of us. I think Butcher's far too professional a manager for Hibs to end up finishing below any of the 4 prospective play-off sides, even given some of the dross he has to work with.

For all the arrogance that we're a better team than Hibs, neither the league table nor results between the teams so far support this. Being able to shitfest the odd game is in itself the mark of a decent if unspectacular side, and it's the reason why they're currently quite a sizeable 7 points ahead of us. I think Butcher's far too professional a manager for Hibs to end up finishing below any of the 4 prospective play-off sides, even given some of the dross he has to work with.

That's a good summary of Butcher as a manager.Any of the teams he's managed have been awful to watch but generally ground out results.Big, physical and direct sums his teams up.He can organise a defence too as was seen in his short time with us.

The table doesn't lie, they're above us, probably like most of the teams above us, because they've defended better.

Edited by angry gaz

Thought Butcher's reaction to the game was actually fairly admirable - no bleating about penalty awards (first one was marginally inside/outside) or ordering offs or looking for excuses (although it could be said that the Hibs performance was itself inexcusable). Nice to see a manager not blaming external forces and just looking at his own team's deficiencies for a change. No fan of the man to be honest but at least he doesn't go about seeking scapegoats.

I don't think it's arrogance. Seven points isn't that much when you consider that if we'd beaten them at Firhill, which we should have, we'd only be one point behind. I'm not saying that we should be above them, Thistle only have themselves to blame for many of this season's hard luck stories, but I do believe that Thistle have better players and a better way of playing and are well capable of catching Hibs.

I don't think it's arrogance. Seven points isn't that much when you consider that if we'd beaten them at Firhill, which we should have, we'd only be one point behind. I'm not saying that we should be above them, Thistle only have themselves to blame for many of this season's hard luck stories, but I do believe that Thistle have better players and a better way of playing and are well capable of catching Hibs.

I'd absolutely love to finish above them. And I agree that it is within our team's capabilities to do so. But…..

Looking at form over the last 10 games, we and Ross County have each lost 3, which doesn't seem too bad. They've won 4, compared to our 2. Five draws for us, 2 for them. St Mirren have lost 7 of their last 10 matches, but won today and are sitting only 1 point ahead of us. Killie have lost 5, Hibs 4.

That all goes to show something, but I don't know what.

I don't go too much on form. I think the last game is important, because that's what you're following on from, but it don't see that what we did three, five or ten games ago has much bearing on what we do next. Everyone has good spells and bad spells.

Looking at form over the last 10 games, we and Ross County have each lost 3, which doesn't seem too bad. They've won 4, compared to our 2. Five draws for us, 2 for them. St Mirren have lost 7 of their last 10 matches, but won today and are sitting only 1 point ahead of us. Killie have lost 5, Hibs 4.

That all goes to show something, but I don't know what.

Your Ross County figures show that you can't count, Jaggernaut!!!

Is Cairney injured I noticed he was not even on the bench last night and he did start most of the early games in Butcher's reign.

Think he was on the bench ,don't think he got on , his contract is up this summer but with the emergence of Sam Stanton it's not looking too promising for him, hopefully back at Firhill next season !!
  • Like 1

Think he was on the bench ,don't think he got on , his contract is up this summer but with the emergence of Sam Stanton it's not looking too promising for him, hopefully back at Firhill next season !!

Correct - Cairney was on the bench yesterday but did not get on. He came off the bench in the previous games against Killie and Ross County. His last start was against St Mirren but he has lost his place to Stanton who replaced him at half-time in that game. Paul has been a regular starter under Butcher so he could win his starting place back.

Rumours a week ago that PC will be a target for our friend at Tannadice at the end of the season. If that's the case it could be good news for us regarding getting big Chris back

I like Cairney but there's often it seems health and fitness issues. Never the fastest but his stamina more than made up for lack of pace. If that's threatened then I don't think he'd be worth signing. Maybe too much a gamble in a key area. If however there's no underlying fitness problems I'd love to see him back.

The above quoted scenario would I feel be better.

Would we really want Cairney back - if we stayed up that is? Stuffy wee player with an eye for a goal yes but not the fastest by a long shot and one thing I thought we were trying to get into our team were quick, skilful players - the likes of Higginbotham, Erskine (if we could get him back, great) and so on. I'd imagine we'd be looking to get someone better than Cairney if we retain our top league place.

Edited by Mr Bunny