Thistle Players' Heights

Jaggernaut

Somebody recently commented that our players often seem to be a bit on the wee side, compared to some of the giants that play these days. I get this impression too, so have been pleased that we've got some height in the team at the moment.

I took a look at the heights of Jags players in season 1920-21. I know that people generally became taller over the course of the last century, but how about this:

Goalkeepers: 5'11" and 5'9"

Fullbacks: 5"11 and 5'8"

Right Half: 5'10" and 5' 8"

Centre Half: 5'10" and 5'9"

Left Half: 5'8" and 5'5"

Outside Right: 5'8 1/2"

Inside Right: 5'8" and 5'7 1/2"

Centre Forwards: 5'8" and 5'7 1/2"

Inside Lefts: 5'7 1/2", 5'7" and 5'6"

Outside Lefts: 5'7" and 5'6"

I'm just guessing, but our U-16 team would probably be considerably taller than those Scottish Cup winning heroes!

Somebody recently commented that our players often seem to be a bit on the wee side, compared to some of the giants that play these days. I get this impression too, so have been pleased that we've got some height in the team at the moment.

I took a look at the heights of Jags players in season 1920-21. I know that people generally became taller over the course of the last century, but how about this:

Goalkeepers: 5'11" and 5'9"

Fullbacks: 5"11 and 5'8"

Right Half: 5'10" and 5' 8"

Centre Half: 5'10" and 5'9"

Left Half: 5'8" and 5'5"

Outside Right: 5'8 1/2"

Inside Right: 5'8" and 5'7 1/2"

Centre Forwards: 5'8" and 5'7 1/2"

Inside Lefts: 5'7 1/2", 5'7" and 5'6"

Outside Lefts: 5'7" and 5'6"

I'm just guessing, but our U-16 team would probably be considerably taller than those Scottish Cup winning heroes!

You may want to translate the positions for the "Young team"

Most of these guys would have been taller than the average working man of that period. I believe average male height in our country then was about 5' 6". And that was after the first World War when diet had improved immensely. At the start of the War they found they were having to turn volunteers down because they were too short and puny (due to poor diet, poor health conditions in the heavily industrialised towns) that's why they introduced better health programs. So any guy 5"6" or over would have been reasonably tall at the time and probably stronger and fitter than average.

I notice you give height in ' and " which suggests you're an oldie like me.

Edited by Mr Bunny

You may want to translate the positions for the "Young team"

I'll have a go:

Goalkeepers: same position.

Fullbacks: Centre backs

Right Half: right wing back or wide defensive midfield - sort of half way between these two roles

Centre Half: defensive midfield

Left Half: left wing-back or wide defensive midfield - sort of half way between these two roles

Outside Right: winger - still have these I think

Inside Right: attacking midfield player

Centre Forwards: same as today, also like today only one forward up front (well wingers played up but stuck very much to wing) but at least one of inside forwards would give CF close support

Inside Lefts: attacking midfield player

Outside Lefts: left winger

So, a kind of 2-3-2-3 formation (or M-M)

One other thing up until 1926, having only two guys as out and out defenders was not a problem as offside rule meant you needed two outfield players plus goalie (i.e. 3 players) to be between you and the goal to be onside.

Change in the offside rule mid twenties led to it being more difficult just having two defenders so Centre Half position was moved back into a central "full back" position with the original full backs being pushed wider - meaning you had man marking on the centre forward and two wingers. (This is what led to "centre half" being a reference to a central defender while wing-half referred to a midfield position in old school footie terms).

So a 3-2-2-3 set up (WM).

Edited by Mr Bunny

Height means nothing unless we are talking about a basketball team and it's just another thing that has held our game back in this country for years now

Give me a footballer everytime over a big athlete and when developing young players talent is the only thing that should matter.

Messi might just get into that 1921 side going with some of the heights although you all might tell me he wouldn't be good enough. :D

• Like 2

Most of these guys would have been taller than the average working man of that period. I believe average male height in our country then was about 5' 6". And that was after the first World War when diet had improved immensely. At the start of the War they found they were having to turn volunteers down because they were too short and puny (due to poor diet, poor health conditions in the heavily industrialised towns) that's why they introduced better health programs. So any guy 5"6" or over would have been reasonably tall at the time and probably stronger and fitter than average.

I notice you give height in ' and " which suggests you're an oldie like me.

That's how the heights were given in the original source, so it's for authenticity. :smartass:

But Messi would be overlooked as a kid in Scotland by scouts looking for the big athletic type

Could quite easily slip thru the net.

One of the biggest changes in my football watching lifetime has been along those lines. Just about every team would field a couple of players that lacked physicality. At least one would be the star player in that team.and most likely command the highest transfer fee. And that was at a time when referees were more lenient. Then again every team would field at least one enforcer.

Football these days is undoubtedly played at a better/fitter level. Our team of today (10th in the top league) would be too good for most of our past teams that finished higher up the league. Same with every other club. Unfortunately we in this country have somehow sacrificed the prospects of so many talented but less physical players to get where we are. Other countries don't appear to have had the same problem.

• Like 1

Boy Jordan Brown who i know was at Hamilton. He's a goalkeeper n the got rid of him coz he's 5'10 n in their opinion, too short. Now playing junior and has several First Div clubs looking at him as hes a tremendous goalkeeper. 1 Hamilton let slip thru the net. he's still only 19 and i think he's capable of keeping goal in the prem div in a few yrs time. This height thing they have in scotland is stupid. rather play a team full of tall nobodies.

imagine the amount of boys who have been rejected for being too small and would have went on to be top players.

Quite alot i would imagine.

We pick boys out at young ages and give them positions that goes with their size.

A small technical player at 10yrs old ignored by clubs will always be better than someone who is picked up because of his size and strength before his ability.

These players reach 17-18 and the small gifted player who is still a better technical player isn't so small anymore but has lost out on years of coaching.and playing at a good level.

The system has failed these players for years and years and until all the dinosaur managers and coaches are gone it will always happen.

We set teams out to stop other teams playing rather than putting a team out asking the questions of the other side.

I see this even at Youth level where it's not even competitive and players are put in positions to stop others playing and a win at all costs mentallity is the only way for some coaches.

It's crazy when you see this but thankfully Thistle don't go down this route.

It should always be about developing technical skills at the young age groups and giving these young kids a platfiorm to express themselves without fear.

This is the only way we will get to see a team string more than three passes together and bring some entertainment back into the game.

• Like 1