Who's Going To Pinch Our Players This Summer?

Gingerjag

ATS is from Aberdeen so I agree you'd imagine thats the most likely move.

I'd like to keep Dools he's a clever player and I'm disapointed he's not started more recently even though taylor is leading the line well I think we could play both.

ATS was recommended to St Johnstone a while back when Mcinnes was in charge but he didn't take the boy on.

Think he had plenty options in that position and it wasn't because he didn't rate him.

Here's next season's team based on those who are under contract for another year or more.

Fox/Gallacher*

O'Donnell

McMillan

Muirhead

Balatoni

Welsh

Fraser

Bannigan

Craigen

Higginbotham

Doolan

Subs - Waters, Piccolo, McDaid

*Gallacher's contract includes an option for next season.

There may be a few more U20s under contract but the club website does not have their contract details for several of them. My guess is that nearly all of those players will stay. There could be offers from England for Bannigan and Higginbotham but we knocked back £50k for Lawless last summer.

The others are all out contract or return to their parent club in May. Hopefully, the club will take up the option on Gallacher. Scully is likely to seek more first-team football.

Mair may be offered a new deal if he can maintain his form. However, it would be a surprise if Ellliot and McAleer are offered new deals if we stay up. There are few promising U20s who may be offered new deals, e.g. Lindsay, Brownlie and Martin who are out on loan.

ATS and Lawless, as others have discussed, are likely to leave. Osborne will look for a club nearer home. Taylor could be available again but there could be competition, possibly from English clubs too. The big question is whether McNamara would allow Erskine to leave.

Liek the lady asks why do you think McAleer would not be offered a new contract, he is only 20 and has been very highly rated while at Airdire?

Also think Scully could be given a new 2 year deal and be loaned out for the first year again.

Edited by Third Lanark

Not sure I understand why McAleer wouldn't be with us next season. More to the point threads such as this are fine when we discuss first team players. I don't feel it's beneficial to be speculating about the futures of the U20 players or those just over age who haven't yet had much of an opportunity to play for OUR 1st team.

Over the years, we have had several teenagers who have played regularly for the first-team. Rough, Alan Hansen and Jim Melrose are just two that come immediately to mind.

When players are 20 or more, have not played for the first-team after two years at the club (even in the old First Division) and have sent out on loan in the third tier and below, it's perfectly fair to consider and discuss whether they should be retained.

Edited by kni

Liek the lady asks why do you think McAleer would not be offered a new contract, he is only 20 and has been very highly rated while at Airdire?

Also think Scully could be given a new 2 year deal and be loaned out for the first year again.

Why should we subsidise another club's wage bill for an additional year? Fox and Waters are under contract for next year. The club has an option to extend Gallacher's contract for another year. Scott Basalaj seems to be well regarded and was training in Manchester with the first-team. So it appears that Archie has to choose between taking up Gallacher's option or keeping Scully and finding a new goalkeeping coach.

Who should WE be pinching for next season? Anyone worth nicking from the first division.

Be great if we could get Taylor on a two year deal, though very unlikely. If I win the £100,000,000 Euromillions this week I will personally fund it!

ATS to be fair has always been clear about wanting to move on after this season. Remember he knocked back a new deal, so this season he is still on 1st division wages.

Same goes for Lawles - although I'm guessing he might be regretting not taking the better contract when it was on offer to him. I doubt he will get a similar offer from anyone any time soon.

Over the years, we have had several teenagers who have played regularly for the first-team. Rough, Alan Hansen and Jim Melrose are just two that come immediately to mind.

When players are 20 or more, have not played for the first-team after two years at the club (even in the old First Division) and have sent out on loan in the third tier and below, it's perfectly fair to consider and discuss whether they should be retained.

As I said I disagree and see no benefit in speculating on here about the future of players yet to play in the first team. That was meant for folk who've seen the lads play for the U20s and/or when they've been out on loan. I think it ludicrous anyone deliberating over those younger players when they haven't even seen them play regularly.

I don't get the reference to the likes of Alan Hansen or Roughie in connection to above. They were exceptional players and if I mind right for a while in the early seventies they were the only two full time players on our books. If we have anyone as gifted and first team ready as those two on our books just now I'm sure we'd all know about it..

ATS to be fair has always been clear about wanting to move on after this season. Remember he knocked back a new deal, so this season he is still on 1st division wages.

Same goes for Lawles - although I'm guessing he might be regretting not taking the better contract when it was on offer to him. I doubt he will get a similar offer from anyone any time soon.

I think Lawless will do just fine and will no doubt have a good few options at the end of the season.

Always impressed me when i seen him in games.

Doolan is another who i rate highly but Thistle don't seem to want to partner him up with Taylor because of the system that is used.

This is unfortunate as i think it would be a decent pairing but how long before he is unhappy at a lack of gametime?

It's a squad game though and you need as many good players in your squad as you can get but the hard part is keeping them all happy.

Paul Gallacher's form has been exemplary since he took over from Scotty Fox. I think Scott Fox is an excellent keeper and definitely worth keeping on board at thistle, he seemed to drop in form as soon as he was selected in the Scotland squad, which is strange but their is no doubting the positive impact he has had on our team (last season and also this season), with some memorable saves. He is a true pro and I believe he will be disappointed with his turn in form and being left out of the first team and he will come back fighting. I also think that he bleeds yellow and red and is a jag. I would be very sad to see him leave the club, because on our budget we aint going to pick up a keeper as good as him.

Lawless, will probably go, but to be honest I don't think he is going to get signed by a top flight club. Stevie has been one of my favorite players for a few season and is a great we player.

Erskine won't be allowed to stay. I think that is quite clear from Ratnamara.

I would rather not have Elliot or Craigen next season as quite frankly I do not believe they are good enough at this level which I know we will be competing at!!! (mon e jags)

I realise i aint that insightful but hey

ATS is from Aberdeen so I agree you'd imagine thats the most likely move.

I'd like to keep Dools he's a clever player and I'm disapointed he's not started more recently even though taylor is leading the line well I think we could play both.

....Doolan is another who i rate highly but Thistle don't seem to want to partner him up with Taylor because of the system that is used.

This is unfortunate as i think it would be a decent pairing but how long before he is unhappy at a lack of gametime?

It's a squad game though and you need as many good players in your squad as you can get but the hard part is keeping them all happy.

The problem of what to do with Doolan has come up in another thread. IMHO his reading of the game is wasted on a striker, and he's only getting to play a bit part there anyway. I'd prefer to see him as an attacking midfielder, because he has shown that not only can he score goals but he can provide others with opportunities too. If he's not given starts, he'll consider moving, and we'll be losing one of our most able players.

The problem of what to do with Doolan has come up in another thread. IMHO his reading of the game is wasted on a striker, and he's only getting to play a bit part there anyway. I'd prefer to see him as an attacking midfielder, because he has shown that not only can he score goals but he can provide others with opportunities too. If he's not given starts, he'll consider moving, and we'll be losing one of our most able players.

yes he would be a useful attacking midfielder. I hate to see him sitting on the bench because he isnt one we want to lose and he must be getting fedup. The team is playing well though so he'll just habe to take his chance when it comes.

Whereas your replies are as f**king stupid as this entire thread. Good to see you sticking up for your fellow fan though, dying breeds have to stick together. Here's a brainteaser for you - which support prides itself as "loyal" left 27,106 seats empty at their last home game? Maybe if you both bang your heads together you'll come up with the answer in a month or so.

Who is going to come in and pinch our players? Other football teams. Dur.

Who is going to leave? EVERYBODY!! NOBODY!! MAYBE A FEW!!!! Who will be our goalkeeper in the year 2107? What utter twaddle.

Anyone feel like answering my question - who should WE steal from lower league teams to improve the squad for next season?

you are such a W**KER.END OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Lawless will do just fine and will no doubt have a good few options at the end of the season.

Always impressed me when i seen him in games.

Doolan is another who i rate highly but Thistle don't seem to want to partner him up with Taylor because of the system that is used.

Guarantee you that no other top flight club will take a chance on him. I would put money on it.

I've raised over £144 personally so far, my wife has raised over £60 and that doesn't include how many internet searches I have completed via easysearch. How much have raised Kni?

My money goes to registered charities, mainly cancer research and MS. I have several relatives who have or had those diseases over the last few years. I consider medical charities to be more worthy causes than football clubs that are mainly owned and totally controlled by wealthy businessmen who are much richer than my sick relatives.

To be honest, I care much more about finding cures for incurable diseases than football which is just a lifestyle interest. For other personal reasons, I also give money to the NSPCC to fight child abuse. If you don't like my choice, it's your problem not mine.

Edited by kni
  • Like 2