Backing Not Sacking

Fawlty Towers

In my opinion this is what Archie requires.

He has been a manager for 1 year, during that period he has taken us over the line to promotion and had us playing good football. Yes at this moment in time we are going through a tough patch but I think that most people would have expected that but, and I realise after a defeat like yesterday's it can be hard to see it, we are still in with a good shout of achieving our target which was survival.

Establishing who is right and wrong in the "should he stay or go" debate is not the priority at the moment (there is plenty of time in the summer to engage in that if you want). What we, as supporters, need to do is get behind the mangement team and players over the remaining fixtures as we all want the same thing and we have more chance of achieving that if we are united.

One thing I would also like to see next season is the Board giving Archie (as they have said he will be in charge regardless of what happens this season) all the tools he requires and by that I mean getting us a fixed training base as well as getting the scouting system up to speed so he can compete on a more even footing with other managers in this league.

• Like 8

He has been a manager for 1 year, during that period he has taken us over the line to promotion and had us playing good football. Yes at this moment in time we are going through a tough patch but I think that most people would have expected that but, and I realise after a defeat like yesterday's it can be hard to see it, we are still in with a good shout of achieving our target which was survival.

Establishing who is right and wrong in the "should he stay or go" debate is not the priority at the moment (there is plenty of time in the summer to engage in that if you want). What we, as supporters, need to do is get behind the mangement team and players over the remaining fixtures as we all want the same thing and we have more chance of achieving that if we are united.

One thing I would also like to see next season is the Board giving Archie (as they have said he will be in charge regardless of what happens this season) all the tools he requires and by that I mean getting us a fixed training base as well as getting the scouting system up to speed so he can compete on a more even footing with other managers in this league.

Totally agree FT

I'll be interested to know who backed Dick Campbell long term.

The guy got us up & would probably would've kept us up but got the sack.

What's the difference between him & Archibald?

Progress...

Good young players...

Good style of football for most of the season...

Hopefully you aren't being serious, if you are, you need help.

• Like 1

I'll be interested to know who backed Dick Campbell long term.

The guy got us up & would probably would've kept us up but got the sack.

What's the difference between him & Archibald?

Are you really the full shilling? Please tell me you are not because that's the only excuse for that post!

The Archie argument is a total waste of time. He's not getting sacked with 5 games to go and in my opinion that's the correct decision. If he keeps us up, even via the play offs, he has done a great job. If we go down, yes I think his position should be looked at but even then I can see the board sticking with him for next season. The facts are, if we can't beat the Dundee's Hamilton's or Falkirk's in a 2 legged play off, if it comes to that, then we don't deserve to be in this league

• Like 1

Clearly Campbell was the far better manager. He didn't require to spend his evenings watching other teams play. Besides any half decent manager like Dick is on the after dinner speaking circuit. The Bunnet certainly didn't need to watch the younger players as he'd virtually got rid of them all. Anyway the youngsters didn't play in the morning, which was apart from Saturday afternoon about the only time Campbell was to be seen.

• Members

Say what you like about McNamarra, but I really wish Archie had his tactical skills for our home games. I think Archie has our away tactics pretty much spot on, in fact, probably above expectations for a Club of our stature, but his home tactics are sorely lacking I'm afraid.

That said, I hope he can do his homework over the close season and get that side of his job right. Onwards and upwards!

I.honestly think Archie is the man for us and not just cause he has the club in.his blood and if he/we can get it right will be there for the long term iIMO. He has made mistakes but also got a lot right but difficult that all our injuries to key players seem to be long term

Eg Ozzy, Welsh, Muirhead etc.

Yesterday was horrible performance but he can't be blamed for 10-11 players having a nightmare This time.last year was a real downer at the cup final but we bounced back quickly under the same guy... hopefully history will repeat itself.

Really don't want playoffs or another plummit down.the leagues!! #BelieveandBackthem!!

• Like 2

Very valid point CCJ. Don't think there is another club in the league that has suffered the long term injuries that we have this season. Osborne, Welsh, Balatoni, Muirhead....all very important players and in no way fringe players. Maybe no surprise that we are struggling at the back and in midfield. As someone mentioned, we lack a real motivator/leader on the park and that is where we have missed the first two named, badly

Whether we stay up or not this year, I really do not see how the club has the infrastructure to stay at this level long term.

Thankfully the club is on a fairly good financial footing but generating more income would allow us to help build that infrastructure we require and staying up would help with that

As others have said Archie will be here till the end anyway.

I back him though I have been concerned about our results against ICT and Hearts - 2 teams who I thought would be dead on their feet - instead it was us.

If over the next 5 games we play like we did yesterday then of course we will be in the playoff.

If that is the case and like I said we have played the way yesterday in these games and the first leg off the playoff then I would seriously question Archie - as it would seem to me he will have lost the dressing room and the plot (the players would not be blameless either). If that scenario happens that we go the next 6 games as bad as yesterday and with no points with no fight etc then I really could not see much hope in the 7th and I would not be overly upset if someone like Ian Murray was in charge for the start of next season.

But as said for any change would require yesterdays game to be replicated another 6-7 times for the rest of the season before anythign like that happens and to be honest as already stated I dont think the board would get rid of him. Only scenario would be if we were sitting near bottom of championship next season

Whether we stay up or not this year, I really do not see how the club has the infrastructure to stay at this level long term.

Negative pish. Similar sized clubs like St Johnstone have managed it to the extent they were playing European qualifiers at the start of this season, and have followed it up with a second top 6 finish this season - an utterly superb achievement. Even smaller clubs like ICT and Ross County (albeit the latter could still go down this season) overtook us to establish themselves as top flight clubs. There's no reason why, with sensible management both on and off the park, we couldn't do the same thing. It's almost like people are scavenging for excuses just now...

• Like 1

great post. Sums up how most folk feel, I would imagine. Yesterday was horrible...move on and look to the next game.

Archie is a perfect fit for our club and I hope he's with us for a long time. I was concerned before yesterdays game not because I thought Hearts were great team but they knew their fate and had nothing to lose.We seem to be playing with fear particularly at home.I wish we could go back to the way we played the first half of the season

First up, I was playing devils advocate but interesting people are questioning my sanity.

Let's look at the facts.

Campbell took over a sinking ship & although he was the man that ultimately took us down, the seeds were sown by the BoD of the time, Gerry Collins then Britton & Whyte. He was tasked with getting us out the second division which he did the consolidate our position in Div 1 - which he never got chance to finish as BoD acted as felt he was tactically inept for the league.

Plenty folk arguing that Archibald got us up & is tasked with keeping us in the SPFL. Not too dissimilar to Campbell albeit a league lower. No?

Progress...

Good young players...

Good style of football for most of the season...

Hopefully you aren't being serious, if you are, you need help.

So continuing in the devils advocate mode..,

Progress.... ??? Not sure you can say that. We're going backwards in terms of league position & style of football we're playing.

Good young players... Average age of the team has gone up since 1st game of season & young players being pushed aside for experience- Fox, SoD, Muirhead, Craigen.

Good style of football.... Has been sacrificed of late & seen more long balls in past 3 months than in past 2 seasons put together.

Really??

Let's start with the manner in which Archie led us to promotion...

As did Dick Campbell so why were you not keen on him?

Are you really the full shilling? Please tell me you are not because that's the only excuse for that post!

& what's Archie's excuse for not being able to react through the games when other managers can?

Can you answer that for me?

First up, I was playing devils advocate but interesting people are questioning my sanity.

Let's look at the facts.

Campbell took over a sinking ship & although he was the man that ultimately took us down, the seeds were sown by the BoD of the time, Gerry Collins then Britton & Whyte. He was tasked with getting us out the second division which he did the consolidate our position in Div 1 - which he never got chance to finish as BoD acted as felt he was tactically inept for the league.

Plenty folk arguing that Archibald got us up & is tasked with keeping us in the SPFL. Not too dissimilar to Campbell albeit a league lower. No?

So continuing in the devils advocate mode..,

Progress.... ??? Not sure you can say that. We're going backwards in terms of league position & style of football we're playing.

Good young players... Average age of the team has gone up since 1st game of season & young players being pushed aside for experience- Fox, SoD, Muirhead, Craigen.

Good style of football.... Has been sacrificed of late & seen more long balls in past 3 months than in past 2 seasons put together.

As did Dick Campbell so why were you not keen on him?

& what's Archie's excuse for not being able to react through the games when other managers can?

Can you answer that for me?

Jesus, someone has too much time on their hands. Even Dick Campbell would struggle to defend his time with us. :loco:

Jesus, someone has too much time on their hands. Even Dick Campbell would struggle to defend his time with us. :loco:

Listen I agree BUT hindsight a wonderful thing.

I just see Archibald going the same way but because he's a 'legend' folk have blinkers on.

Yes he got us up but so did Campbell (& he was shoite) so I don't get the whole argument that he's a good manager because he got us promoted.

Remind me who we were up against & where they are now? Alan Moore must've been really bad but does that make Archibald really good?

What I woud say is that Campbell was an experienced manager when he came to us whilst Archie was making his first steps in that direction when he took over. Campbell had the luxury of finishing fourth to get in the play offs and lets remember that it was a 90th minute deflected free kick that kept us in it up at Peterhead whilst Archie went 18 games undefeated including a match against our nearest rivals only a few days after playing 120 minutes in a cup final.

I don't know what Morton's current position has to do with last season as at that point they still had their better players - Tidser and MacDonald for example.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree and I am sure both of us will be happy when we stay up this season.