Sandy Jardine

macjag

Met Sandy when I was a kid and again around 5 or 6 years ago when I bumped into a night out being had by some of the Rangers old guard, very very nice bloke to speak to and when speaking about the Jags and 1st division knew his stuff about football, and after a bit of lighthearted banter still wished the Jags the best for the coming season. RIP Sandy

A classy player who came across as a top-class person. His interest in the Rangers-Celtic rivalry appeared to be confined to the field of play - all the other stuff seemed to be a source of wry bemusement to him.

Sandy Jardine was a real giant of Scottish football when the game in Scotland was at its best. My kindest wishes go out to all who were close to him.

Edited by ScottyDFA

I wouldn't know how many of Sandy's caps coincided with Danny McGrain's but I'm sure there were plenty. Both natural right backs but both too talented to leave out one, Danny simply moved across to left back. I'd be surprised if Scotland had ever played two full backs together of their quality before. Most certainly we haven't seen any pairing since then that could come anywhere remotely near to matching them.

Dreadful news. A superb full back for club and country and a proper footballer. I remember a time at Cappielow where the Morton fans were accusing him of cheating, and he played the game in tears just at the very idea of it.

I wan't at the game obviously, but the incident made the news...

RIP Sandy.