Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

So that's another signing in. My oh my. This is looking like the manager, and by extension the Chief Exec and Chairman, could achieve their target by close of the transfer window. Imagine being on the wrong side of that debate.

Re Carroll. My cousin works at St Pats in Dublin. Asked for the lowdown which i will post here.Although feel free to wiki and then tell everyone what his weaknesses are.

Which one are you or are you posting for?

It's clear that you are spinning your own agenda on here.

Edited by kni

^ You appear to be a club director or employee who is spinning a clear message.

Why? Because I'm of an optimistic disposition? You're well wide of the mark, something other posters will confirm.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm content to keep on countering your rather glum or cautious take on things with something a bit more upbeat.

• Members

kni. Knowing who both of these guys are, I can guarantee that neither are Club staff or directors. In fact, if you had been around the various Jags forums long enough you would know that at least one of these guys was a 'bitter enemy' of some former directors because of what he contributed through a Jags forum. There are plenty of folk on here that can confirm that, you don't need to take my word.

• Like 2

So Dark Passenger and I know one another. Neither of us works for Thistle. Dick Campbell and Gerry Collins tried to get me in as their PR but we couldn't agree terms...

I do have an agenda though. My agenda is to see that our young inexperienced manager(learning all the time) is given a fair crack of the whip. I feel that after getting us promoted, playing the best football in years, and keeping us up. He deserves that.

I haven't even mentioned his long distinguushed Thistle career or the fact that he's the first proper Thistle man since McParland to have a right good go at the job. That would just be sentimental. I prefer to judge the guy on what he says and what he does. Some of you should try that.

• Like 3

Why? Because I'm of an optimistic disposition? You're well wide of the mark, something other posters will confirm.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm content to keep on countering your rather glum or cautious take on things with something a bit more upbeat.

Not glum or cautious, just a bit sceptical of spin on targets etc after Archie's comments on the lack of a scoring network. My other concern was that we were losing targets to our competitors.

We have always been unpredictable and inconsistent. I'm expecting more of the same this season. It's all part of being a Thistle supporter.

kni. Knowing who both of these guys are, I can guarantee that neither are Club staff or directors. In fact, if you had been around the various Jags forums long enough you would know that at least one of these guys was a 'bitter enemy' of some former directors because of what he contributed through a Jags forum. There are plenty of folk on here that can confirm that, you don't need to take my word.

^ Fair enough, I will accept your word.

Archie targets 5 or 6 players.

Archie signs 5 players.

Posters point this out.

Posters accused of pushing an agenda.

Only in Kni's world. :frantic:

I was not the only one here who was concerned by the lack of depth in the squad. Anyone who dares express any doubt or concern on here is ridiculed by the self-appointed thought police who want a forum of brainless cheerleaders.

This "lack of scouting network" stuff is hilarious too. For a club that lacks a scouting network we have obtained the following players from England since Archie took over.

Taylor

Buaben

Osman

Seaborne

Richards Everton

Osbourne

Carroll

Higgy

With possibly one more to come.

I'm sure i've missed a couple but by anyone's standards, that's a pretty decent strike rate.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa
  • Like 1

This "lack of scouting network" stuff is hilarious too. For a club that lacks a scouting network we have obtained the following players from England since Archie took over.

Taylor

Buaben

Osman

Seaborne

Richards Everton

Osbourne

Carroll

Higgy

With possibly one more to come.

I'm sure i've missed a couple but by anyone's standards, that's a pretty decent strike rate.

I merely pointed out that the manager had commented on the lack of a scouting network last season. Here's Alan Archibald in the Evening Times on the 18th June 2014. "We have got a good youth set-up in place, our scouting is being put in place as well" - after Osbourne, Higgy, Taylor and Buaben had been signed? Presumably, you think that's hilarious too.

It is common for agents to contact clubs to ask for trials for their free agent clients. Did we contact all the rejected trialists' agents or did they contact us? I'm sure you're dying to tell us more. :rolleyes:

More the fact you's are posting as if you have either Maxi or Archie's ear and know all the things that are going on behind the scenes instead of like the rest speculating and sharing opinions, going with the previous incarnation of Red Monkey is be very surprised if you did have a hot line from the club

More the fact you's are posting as if you have either Maxi or Archie's ear and know all the things that are going on behind the scenes

It is possible to pick up on things without being personally privy to the manager's/general manager's dealings.

We're a relatively small club. A lot of us have attended games for a number of years. In that time you get to know people who know people who know people. It's not unusual.

Pete O'Rourke of Sky Sports, who correctly predicted we'd sign BRE and Seaborne ahead of anyone else, says we've signed Nathan Eccleston.

From a quick scan it seems fans of previous clubs think he'd be a great player if he could finish. I think he's worth the risk. Archie's used the English market very well.

Pete O'Rourke of Sky Sports, who correctly predicted we'd sign BRE and Seaborne ahead of anyone else, says we've signed Nathan Eccleston.

From a quick scan it seems fans of previous clubs think he'd be a great player if he could finish. I think he's worth the risk. Archie's used the English market very well.

Eccleston scored against us, with Archibald in the team, in the friendly against the Liverpool XI at Firhill in 2009. Wikipedia says that he failed to score in his last three loan spells - from Blackpool to Tranmere, Carlisle and Coventry. Is this another Pressley connected signing?

Eccleston scored against us, with Archibald in the team, in the friendly against the Liverpool XI at Firhill in 2009. Wikipedia says that he failed to score in his last three loan spells - from Blackpool to Tranmere, Carlisle and Coventry. Is this another Pressley connected signing?

In the last minute a newspaper in Coventry has confirmed the same thing. Looks like he is joining us. Former Sky Blues loan striker Nathan Eccleston set to sign for Partick Thistle.

There's a few degrees of separation between the new signings and existing Scottish Premiership players.

Seaborne and Eccleston played at Coventry together. Ecclestone was part of the Liverpool side that lost to Osman's Northampton Town in the League Cup. Eccleston missed a penalty in the shoot-out, with Osman scoring the winner. Inverness striker Billy McKay played and scored during the tie. And Eccleston appears to have put Lee Croft's ex Maria Fowler to the sword.

I was not the only one here who was concerned by the lack of depth in the squad. Anyone who dares express any doubt or concern on here is ridiculed by the self-appointed thought police who want a forum of brainless cheerleaders.

I think all fans (& Archie) were concerned by the lack of depth, however what we did have was some posters on this site complaining and bemoaning that we were doomed (or similar) weeks before the window closed. At the same time other posters stating they would rather wait till the end of the window and a few games into the season before critising the Board, the manager, the players and the lack of this or that.

It's been stated on here many times what Archie has done for the club over the last year and a half - never mind attaching any sentiment regarding the ten years previous to that. What people were saying is judge him on what he does within the realistic timescales he set himself and on the performances of his team on the pitch. We won't get it right every time but then again who does.

Losing to Accies isn't great but slotting four past County and playing them off the park is brilliant.

I'm firmly in the second camp and don't consider myself a brianless cheerleader (others might!) County got their players in early and hasn't done them much good.

I'm happy to see whomever else we might get in the next day or so, watch how the team gels together and see what our performances and results bring. I will no doubt like some of the signings and some of the decisions the players and manager makes and not be happy about others (Get Doolan on!). That's part of being a football supporter and I think Archie has more than earned the right to assemble a squad, make the decisions as he sees fit and hopefully keep Thistle performing well and achieving the points tally he will have been set - or set himself.

Edited by sb1876
  • Like 1

I think all fans (& Archie) were concerned by the lack of depth, however what we did have was some posters on this site complaining and bemoaning that we were doomed (or similar) weeks before the window closed. At the same time other posters stating they would rather wait till the end of the window and a few games into the season before critising the Board, the manager, the players and the lack of this or that.

It's been stated on here many times what Archie has done for the club over the last year and a half - never mind attaching any sentiment regarding the ten years previous to that. What people were saying is judge him on what he does within the realistic timescales he set himself and on the performances of his team on the pitch. We won't get it right every time but then again who does.

Losing to Accies isn't great but slotting four past County and playing them off the park is brilliant.

I'm firmly in the second camp and don't consider myself a brianless cheerleader (others might!) County got their players in early and hasn't done them much good.

I'm happy to see whomever else we might get in the next day or so, watch how the team gels together and see what our performances and results bring. I will no doubt like some of the signings and some of the decisions the players and manager makes and not be happy about others (Get Doolan on!). That's part of being a football supporter and I think Archie has more than earned the right to assemble a squad, make the decisions as he sees fit and hopefully keep Thistle performing well and achieving the points tally he will have been set - or set himself.

well said! keep the faith
  • Like 1

I don't care who DP and LSR really are they seem to know what's going on and that's fine by me. As a very occasional poster but regular reader on here kni's posts intrigue me. I wonder what his/her occupation is, retired circus performer/rodeo rider I think not maybe an accountant or a librarian? What does everyone else think? Trivia I know but i think we should be told