Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Apparently we were offered Amido Balde from Celtic in the summer and that the player was keen to come. However, for the deal to go through we had to cover £10,000 a week. Dean Shields was set to sign last January but Rangers decided to add that we had to cover 100% of the wages instead if the 50% that was agreed.

Apparently we were offered Amido Balde from Celtic in the summer and that the player was keen to come. However, for the deal to go through we had to cover £10,000 a week. Dean Shields was set to sign last January but Rangers decided to add that we had to cover 100% of the wages instead if the 50% that was agreed.

were Celtic having a laugh thinking we could afford 10K a week? Shields is pish an awl.give me Dools and Higgy over they 2 all day long!

I see Mcfadden is still looking for a club.. Is he still training with us? Says himself he's been to picky (greedy).. Would love him as an option in our team

http://www.scotsman....eturn-1-3542453

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I think Thistle would be the perfect club for him. I would love to see it but I'm sure if he was going to sign it would have happened by now.

Would have put extra bums on seats each week as well, I'm sure.

It would be very disappointing if he were to choose St Mirren over us. If it is the case, I would love to know the reason/s why.

Finance & importance to the team. Do we even want him? If the price is right, probably, but St. Mirren are in a position currently where they will probably offer him more money & assurances over playing time as they need something to get the fans on side & kickstart their season.

On the way to the Camanachd Cup Final on Saturday there were a fair few Motherwell fans on the train. One of them claimed to be McFadden's cousin and said he thought it was likely he'd sign with us.

Not the most iron clad of sources but I thought I'd throw it in seeing we're on the subject.

Interestingly he also said that Higgy didn't like Motherwell because after being promised he'd feature in every game was then dropped when McFadden signed a month later.

Do we need McFadden?

If any of Higgy, Lawless or Elliott were to get injured/suspended it would leave us light on the wings. I know McFadden is probably now best behind the striker, where we have Stevenson, Craigen & even Fraser. So on balance, it's not a signing we'd desperately need to make, but can you ever have too many good players? I don't think so, & he would certainly get a fair amount of game time throughout the season if he stayed fit. My conclusion would be, if he's not asking for silly money it would be a good addition to the squad, for various reasons.

my main worry would be whether his body is still capable of producing that quality, though.

Alas I know that feeling all too well.

Wouldn't think it would be a case of us being priced out the equation so much as us not being able to offer the guy a likely start. Unless someone's prepared to pay daft money I reckon McFadden will settle for the club where he thinks he'll get enough game time.

Do we need McFadden?

I would think it would be more a case of do we want him. As others have said, we could use back up in the wide areas but I think a fit McFadden would be starting for us, if either as one of the three in behind the striker or up top (seemingly his preferred position). OK, he may not be where he was a few years ago but he would greatly increase our chances of a higher finish.

It could be the case however that he has made us aware that he is willing to sign but Archie doesn't want him. I would very much doubt it though.

• Like 1

Don't see how McFadden could be seen as cover for Fraser. Completely different types of player who play different kinds of positions. Also Fraser has a physical presence which McFadden doesn't have.

I note that McFadden has had injury problems the last few years ... considering that would be a risk I don't see us signing such a player when we'd probably have to pay over the odds for him. If he'd be willing to go pay-as-you-play it might be worthwhile but don't see the player himself accepting that.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Don't see how McFadden could be seen as cover for Fraser. Completely different types of player who play different kinds of positions. Also Fraser has a physical presence which McFadden doesn't have.

I note that McFadden has had injury problems the last few years ... considering that would be a risk I don't see us signing such a player when we'd probably have to pay over the odds for him. If he'd be willing to go pay-as-you-play it might be worthwhile but don't see the player himself accepting that.

He is unlikely to say otherwise as he is looking for a club, but he said in the papers a couple of days ago that after the training with Thistle that he hasn't felt as fit as he does just now for years.