Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Scully would be certainty as a back up goalie if the occasion arose. He's been highly rated at East End Pk. I just don't know how you hold on to a guy who has enjoyed playing 1st team football to be likely a third choice and with little chance of playing.

Both Lindsay and Brownlie have been first team choices in the league below us albeit at part time teams. Only injuries and suspensions have kept them from selection.

Duggan has the physicality to step up but probably needs a wee bit more experience as injury hindered his progress. Otherwise I'm sure he'd have been loaned out sooner. posted elsewhere re McAleer and have not heard how Martin is developing in Belgium.

Two or three must surely be already considered "squad level", billko?

With Scully though a 2 year deal - with next year loaned out to someone in divison one most likely the Pars again. The in over a years time he may be more and ready to challenge Gallagher or Fox for the numebr one position.

IMO I think we need to pull out thes tops to get a new deal to Gallacher regardless of what division we are in.

I note that a lot of teams have a full time goalkeeping coach who is not a player with the team - If we can get Gall a new contract and throw in the Goalkeeper coach role in then that would be great.

Lindsay probably deserves to be our fourth choice option at centre-back next season.

Problem is, we have Balatoni, Muirhead and Piccolo all signed up. And we still need a better, established centre-half to come in to replace Mair.

In all honesty, it could be that we come to an agreement with either Muirhead or Piccolo to go. Or we don't re-sign Lindsay. Or we go with 5 CB's in the first team squad...

I would imagine Wilson, McAleer and Duggan would also look to push into the first team. With McDaid out on loan.

I think Duggan may get the first few months on loan next season as well

With Scully though a 2 year deal - with next year loaned out to someone in divison one most likely the Pars again. The in over a years time he may be more and ready to challenge Gallagher or Fox for the numebr one position.

IMO I think we need to pull out the stops to get a new deal to Gallacher regardless of what division we are in.

I note that a lot of teams have a full time goalkeeping coach who is not a player with the team - If we can get Gall a new contract and throw in the Goalkeeper coach role in then that would be great.

I might be misunderstanding you, TL but Gallacher IS already our goalie coach. I know he's also a part time coach to at least one other club but that's quite common I suppose. I think ideally we loan out Scully again to the Pars but with a recall clause if that's possible.

• Members

Out of contract are Scully, Mair, Welsh, Osbourne, Lawless, Elliot , taylor-sinclair plus erskine, taylor ,bauben, moncur all finishing their loans, so effectively we have 11 1st teamers/squad guys leaving.

Welsh signed an extension at the beginning of the season MMJ.

Contract extensions for the players they want to keep are a must. The boys have a good spirit and will have a feel good factor so may help sway their decision.

For next season our priorities should be

1. Left Back. ATS is prob away plus we needed cover for him anyway.
  2. Probably a dominant Centre Half which means one of the current 4 will have to go which for me would be between Muirhead and Piccolo.
  3. Ball playing central midfielder too if Welsh is still an injury concern. Fraser, Bannigan and Craigen are all good players but young and need help.
  4. Striker if Taylor does not stay on.
  5. Erskine (and maybe Lawless) replacement

I'd hoped that we would have been in a position to offer Taylor something at the end of the season but I'm told that he's signed a pre-contract with Hibs! :(

That's very sad if true. I was hopeful that we would push the boat out for him.

He also seems to have really enjoyed his time at Firhill but I suppose at the end of the day money talks.

If that's true about Taylor, that is a real blow, especially as the chances are that he will be in the Championship next season. Pretty sure he signed a two year deal with Sheffield Und with the option of a third year so not sure how they can get him on a pre contract with one or two years left on his current Und contract

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23346380

Edited by Lindau

• Members

If that's true about Taylor, that is a real blow, especially as the chances are that he will be in the Championship next season. Pretty sure he signed a two year deal with Sheffield Und with the option of a third year so not sure how they can get him on a pre contract with one or two years left on his current Und contract

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/23346380

That's a good point Lindau. It was a member of the Falkirk scouting staff that had told a relative of mine that Lyle had come to an agreement to join Hibs in the close season. Maybe not a PCA then and there's still a chance he'll sign for us. Regardless, it looks like he's surplus to requirements at Sheffield United in any case. Being able to call on and alternate two good strikers since Christmas has no doubt had a positive bearing on how our season panned out.

Hearts fans in the pub tonight were saying

- they were happy Higginbotham is signing for them.

- was at the Hibs/Hearts derby game (in the Hearts end).

- didn't like the £4k a week he was going to be getting.

Ann Budge was recently warning fans that Hearts would be cutting their cloth accordingly next season to ensure they don't end up in financial troubles again. Surely this wouldn't involve signing contracted players from the league above for a transfer fee and then paying them £200K+ a year to play in the Championship. Only complete idiots would nearly go out of business for good and then at the next opportunity spaff a fortune on wages to play in the lower leagues.

Edited by scottymagoo
  • Like 1

Being able to call on and alternate two good strikers since Christmas has no doubt had a positive bearing on how our season panned out.

No doubt about that whatsoever! Having Lyle and Dools has been a novelty for our club, as we usually struggle with strikers. Would be disappointed if we didn't offer Lyle a good contract. He fits in with the Firhill ethic. Young, eager, good grafter, skillful and most important of all...scores goals. Honestly would be amazed if he went to Hibs as I am sure he has opened a few eyes in his loan spell at Firhill. Don't expect him to be here next season but what a boost it would be if he was!

Pre-contracts are usually pretty well publicised. Would we have played a player who was already committed to a team that we're in direct competition with? Lyle Taylor may have made a large contribution to Hibs' relegation last night.

So what...? They score two, we score four.

I think the general view about transfer targets is that we need to strengthen our defence.....why?

- 4 clean sheets in 37 league games

- 2 home wins

- too many goals lost from set pieces

- we have lost too many headed pieces

- more draws than anyone else

Oh and ATS will prob be off, SOD and MacMillan not great and we need a big centre back

This thread is about to improve for next season

I will go out on a limb and say that neither Higgy nor Lyle Taylor will be playing in the Championship next season which is where Hearts and probably Hibs will be. If either of them do then Allyo will run down Firhill Rd naked before the first home game next season.

• Like 1