Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

I think the general view about transfer targets is that we need to strengthen our defence.....why?

- 4 clean sheets in 37 league games

- 2 home wins

- too many goals lost from set pieces

- we have lost too many headed pieces

- more draws than anyone else

Oh and ATS will prob be off, SOD and MacMillan not great and we need a big centre back

This thread is about to improve for next season

Are you still here?

McMillan has been absolutely immense for a long time now. Not that I'd expect you to be able to recognise anything that happens on a football pitch.

Are you still here?

McMillan has been absolutely immense for a long time now. Not that I'd expect you to be able to recognise anything that happens on a football pitch.

Yes and if you check you will see that I have posted a comment on how Macmillan has improved but if we want to improve the team which I do then the defence is where I would start

I hope you are not as rude in real life it would be a shame

SOD and MacMillan not great

Astonishing. Think it's been clear Stephen hasn't been fully fit this season and as for McMillan, he was brilliant last night and has rarely played a poor game in any game that he has been involved in, that I have been at. We need another centre half, maybe shifting Gabby out on loan to the Championship, as I think he needs toughening up. If ATS goes we need another LB and cover. Don't think we need anything else defensively

I think the general view about transfer targets is that we need to strengthen our defence.....why?

- 4 clean sheets in 37 league games (7th in the table)

- 2 home wins (fantastic away record)

- too many goals lost from set pieces (will agree on this one)

- we have lost too many headed pieces (not sure what that means....hairpieces, codpieces!)

- more draws than anyone else (less defeats than anyone in the bottom 6)

Reply above. Why do you never look on the positive side of the club?

Edited by Lindau

Reply above. Why do you never look on the positive side of the club?

Jesus a thread on signings for next season means everyone expresses their view on where to improve which inevitably means critically - using it in its correct meaning - evaluating what needs to be gone which has a bit if negativity built in eg the defence needs improving implicitly is negative on the current situation which you have also done!

We can't keep a clean sheet it's not bring negative it's a fact

And I hope Archie is the biggest critic of the team !

I will go out on a limb and say that neither Higgy nor Lyle Taylor will be playing in the Championship next season which is where Hearts and probably Hibs will be. If either of them do then Allyo will run down Firhill Rd naked before the first home game next season.

Can I wear shoes?

Beattie's interview on STV yesterday had him saying that us staying up would mean we could offer Lyle Taylor a deal to stay.

Encouraging.

Certainly is, its rather difficult not to feel optimistic and perhaps not al ittle smug towards the likes of Hugh Keevins and Chick Dung GIRFUY!!!

Edited by stillresigned

Beattie's interview on STV yesterday had him saying that us staying up would mean we could offer Lyle Taylor a deal to stay.

Encouraging.

in terms of priority I rather hope we offer deals to Taylor and Erskine then enhance the contracts of our key players. I don't think it's in our interest to have to large a turnover of playing staff in the summer. The unity amongst the existing players is tremendous. Obviously a few may leave but I'd rather see two or three new recruits of quality than wholesale changes.

• Like 2

in terms of priority I rather hope we offer deals to Taylor and Erskine then enhance the contracts of our key players. I don't think it's in our interest to have to large a turnover of playing staff in the summer. The unity amongst the existing players is tremendous. Obviously a few may leave but I'd rather see two or three new recruits of quality than wholesale changes.

agree completely well said

Caolan McAleer @CaolanMcAleer

Enjoyed my time at Partick Thistle was a good 2years.Now for the next chapter

I admit I never saw him much but u had always thought he was a prospect but clearly not

Tells you that the clear out process has begun

Seems a good prospect and Airdrie fans love him. Bit surprised, thought he was one that could come back and help out next season. Not sure if I've ever seen him play though so not basing this on anything other than P+B. Encouraging though, Archie obviously has some high ambitions for players.

completely agree, and been advocating this for a while now.

Both keepers we have signed up for next season (assuming of course we take up the extra year on gallachers contract) are good enough for the team going forward, so no worries here.

First of all, we need a direct replacement for ATS. Not sure who it'll be but I've heard good things about that Stephen Hendrie who plays for Hamilton, anyone know anything about him?

Lee Mair should be dealt with similarly to Andy Dowie, thanked for what he's done this season and sent on his way with our best wishes. He's done what was asked of him but if we want to progress then he's not good enough. Bringing in someone else here and putting picollo out on loan are important I feel, picollo clearly could be a good player for us, but he's not quite there yet. Both muirhead and balatoni are superior to him at the moment.

McMillan has been outstanding recently, and should be first choice next season. He also seems to be loving his time at the club (celebration at the end on Wednesday was glorious) so happy here. O'Donnell is also very competent here.

Midfield could be an interesting one. Both Fraser and bannigan are very good for us and will only get better so are good to have. Craigen has also done enough to warrant staying next season IMO. Personally I'd punt both Osborne and welsh, both are excellent players but we can't afford to keep guys who will be out for most of the season. Buaben I'd keep if we can get him at a reasonable price but I wouldn't break the bank for him. We therefore would need someone in to replace welsh and Osborne.

Higgy is signed up which is ideal, extending his stay is vital. Elliott despite his short comings is a useful option to have and I'd keep him, but if he's let go I won't be too disappointed. Erskine, like buaben, I wouldn't break the bank for, but if we can get him then ideal. Lawless will be off, and that's fine with me. He's not necessarily a bad player, but he's not good enough for this level. We therefore need more options on the wings (although I'd play odonnell further forward next season), and someone to play in the hole be that erskine or someone else.

Keeping Taylor would be brilliant, but if it doesn't happen then we'll need to find someone else to bring in to alternate with doolan.

Archie needs to avoid repeating the same mistakes of last summer and panic buying certain players, such as Kerr and Baird.

Both keepers we have signed up for next season (assuming of course we take up the extra year on gallachers contract) are good enough for the team going forward, so no worries here.

First of all, we need a direct replacement for ATS. Not sure who it'll be but I've heard good things about that Stephen Hendrie who plays for Hamilton, anyone know anything about him?

Lee Mair should be dealt with similarly to Andy Dowie, thanked for what he's done this season and sent on his way with our best wishes. He's done what was asked of him but if we want to progress then he's not good enough. Bringing in someone else here and putting picollo out on loan are important I feel, picollo clearly could be a good player for us, but he's not quite there yet. Both muirhead and balatoni are superior to him at the moment.

McMillan has been outstanding recently, and should be first choice next season. He also seems to be loving his time at the club (celebration at the end on Wednesday was glorious) so happy here. O'Donnell is also very competent here.

Midfield could be an interesting one. Both Fraser and bannigan are very good for us and will only get better so are good to have. Craigen has also done enough to warrant staying next season IMO. Personally I'd punt both Osborne and welsh, both are excellent players but we can't afford to keep guys who will be out for most of the season. Buaben I'd keep if we can get him at a reasonable price but I wouldn't break the bank for him. We therefore would need someone in to replace welsh and Osborne.

Higgy is signed up which is ideal, extending his stay is vital. Elliott despite his short comings is a useful option to have and I'd keep him, but if he's let go I won't be too disappointed. Erskine, like buaben, I wouldn't break the bank for, but if we can get him then ideal. Lawless will be off, and that's fine with me. He's not necessarily a bad player, but he's not good enough for this level. We therefore need more options on the wings (although I'd play odonnell further forward next season), and someone to play in the hole be that erskine or someone else.

Keeping Taylor would be brilliant, but if it doesn't happen then we'll need to find someone else to bring in to alternate with doolan.

Archie needs to avoid repeating the same mistakes of last summer and panic buying certain players, such as Kerr and Baird.

I agree most of that, especially regarding Mair and Piccolo but I would only want us to get rid of Welsh and Ozzy if there was no chance of them coming back from injury. Osbourne would have cruised to player of the year had he not got injured and Welsh isn't club captain for nothing. In fact, most of the good football we were playing earlier in the season came when Welsh was in the team and he has been a huge miss.

Would love to see them both back for the start of the season. I think Welsh has the best chance of that.