Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Maybe a wee bit of selective reading going on. I was responding in the main to the point that the the lack of a scouting network could be responsible for not sourcing a replacement for ATS. I also said we needed players who have shown that they are capable of playing at SPL level, meaning to replace Mair, ATS and Taylor. Another minor point - Last season was different - we tried untested players to begin with and it didn't work too well.

Without picking the bones out of it, Forbes, Baird & Kerr- the 3 released at New Year- were tested in the PL before.

Magnay is interesting. Either Archie thought him to be not good enough and has let him go rather than make a panic purchase, which suggests that all is well and there are plans in the pipeline

or

Grimsby offered him a better deal and we have lost a key target and we are doomed !

My money is on the former.

Standard is better in the Conference apparently. http://www.grimsbyte...tail/story.html

I'm probably too thick to understand your posts. As I'm lead to believe Magnay was released from a conference club and has signed for another conference club. Magnay didn't quite come up to Archie's evaluation of a player we require. Why does that make the standard in that league better?

As I say I'm not quite the match for your obvious intellect, so if answering go easy on me.

Apologies for the confusion. Seems the standard of competition in the Conference is better in Mr Magnays opinion. From his quote it is unclear whether he thinks Thistle are a better standard than Conference level or not.

"There were SPL options for me, and I actually went up and trained with Partick Thistle," he added.

"But I found when I was up there that the Conference is probably a more competitive league, and there really isn't much between the standards.

Apologies for the confusion. Seems the standard of competition in the Conference is better in Mr Magnays opinion. From his quote it is unclear whether he thinks Thistle are a better standard than Conference level or not.

"There were SPL options for me, and I actually went up and trained with Partick Thistle," he added.

"But I found when I was up there that the Conference is probably a more competitive league, and there really isn't much between the standards.

What a load of crap from Magnay, sour grapes probably.

• Like 2

• Members

You can understand where he's coming from though when he and one of his former team-mates were both hoping to sign for SPL Clubs from a conference side. There's a lot more money in the game down south even in the lower tiers so they can afford a better standard of player.

You can understand where he's coming from though when he and one of his former team-mates were both hoping to sign for SPL Clubs from a conference side. There's a lot more money in the game down south even in the lower tiers so they can afford a better standard of player.

True, up to a point yes, but there's a downside in that a lot of players are getting big money but aren't particularly great players. That means we have to have a good look at players from these bigger paying leagues: just because they're earning a big wage (by lower half SPL standards anyway) doesn't mean the players will be good enough or the right fit.

• Like 1

I think people who are saying there's no need to panic etc are burying there head in the sand slightly .. No offence ! But I'd have taken a few players out rivals have signed unless we have a few things in the pipeline I can see us struggling and no I'm not being totally negative I go to every home game just my opinion would loveee to be proved wrong

I think people who are saying there's no need to panic etc are burying there head in the sand slightly .. No offence ! But I'd have taken a few players out rivals have signed unless we have a few things in the pipeline I can see us struggling and no I'm not being totally negative I go to every home game just my opinion would loveee to be proved wrong

Maybe Archie would have liked a few of them too, but they may be on way more cash than we can offer

• Like 1