Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Seriously underwhelmed by the lack of signings and it now looks as if we're going back down the road of trialists and journeymen pros looking for a last pay day. David Beattie said at the end of the season staying in the league meant we could now compete in the transfer market , with less than a month to go before our first league game that statement seems highly debateable. Surely by the end of the season we should have identified a new left back to replace ATS who we knew was going in January , similariily another centre half to replace Mair . IMO it's time we started thinking like an SPL club because the lack of signings impact on other areas of the club , eg season ticket sales , hospitality , sponsorship etc . At this moment after just staying up last season it looks like we're considerably weaker ( no ATS , Lyle Taylor , Lee Mair ) and only one signing ( Ryan Stevenson) . It surely must be a disadvantage getting players in at this late stage , have they done their pre season ? and getting up to speed with the system we play . Thought this season we could have pushed on but not so sure about that now .

I'm sure Archie must be frustrated too with lack of signings despite what he is saying in media putting on a brave face

Maybe our wage structure is not appealing to potential decent signing targets. It's worrying now as from what I saw yesterday we are real weak defensively. Gabby played 2nd half instead of Aero and he was poor. In fairness Darren Barr was ill and missed match and Mustoe injured. So perhaps if these 2 plus other 2 trialists get a game on Saturday will be easier to judge. But at the moment not looking great.

I'm not sure Darren Barr the answer at centre half. As for Mustoe, haven't seen the boy so unfair to comment but as been mentioned before, we've had a year to identify a replacement for ATS & the best we can do is bring someone in on trial.

If Gabby was playing then does that put paid to his loan away from the club which apparently the chairman was telling jags fans over in Spain last week?

It genuinely doesn't seem we're at the races. There might be 6 weeks to the end of the transfer window still but it was the manager who stead he was looking for 6 signings & getting business done early. Now that may not have meant all 6 but I doubt it meant one.

Barr/Paterson players that can cover different positions has been said. Does that mean they're not good enough to hold down one position in a team?

As for trusting the manager, I think he needs help. He can't do it all on his own. Been mentioned every other page but the scouting system should've been sorted by now.

Genuinely believe we're in the same situation as this time last year in the sense that we're looking for agents to bring players to us rather than already having found out what's out there.

Barr/Paterson players that can cover different positions has been said. Does that mean they're not good enough to hold down one position in a team?

Using that logic then a fair few of our existing players like McMillan, Stevenson, Bannigan plus Osbourne from last season would come into that category. Barr has spent nearly all his career playing for clubs that were above us in terms of league.position. Paterson has played most of his career in SPL and English Championship.

I'd suggest they could both be reasonable signings if they can prove their fitness (Barr that he's injury free and Paterson that he's still got the legs). I'll be near the head of the queue in saying these are very big "ifs" but I think it's disingenuous to suggest they're duds simply because they've played in a few different positions.

Using that logic then a fair few of our existing players like McMillan, Stevenson, Bannigan plus Osbourne from last season would come into that category. Barr has spent nearly all his career playing for clubs that were above us in terms of league.position. Paterson has played most of his career in SPL and English Championship.

I'd suggest they could both be reasonable signings if they can prove their fitness (Barr that he's injury free and Paterson that he's still got the legs). I'll be near the head of the queue in saying these are very big "ifs" but I think it's disingenuous to suggest they're duds simply because they've played in a few different positions.

Respect your opinion LIB but Darren Barr had a torrid 3 years at Hearts , released by Kilmarnock after a year hardly inspiring , Jim Paterson is now 35 years old hardly the future, can't really understand why we can't now compete with the teams around about us in terms of finance as we're probably on a level footing with most of them .
  • Like 1

Respect your opinion LIB but Darren Barr had a torrid 3 years at Hearts , released by Kilmarnock after a year hardly inspiring , Jim Paterson is now 35 years old hardly the future, can't really understand why we can't now compete with the teams around about us in terms of finance as we're probably on a level footing with most of them .

Have to agree more with jlsarmy here.Either one of these signings carries a big element of risk and that is not something we can afford in this position. It was the problem position all last season and we , at this point, don't seem any closer to solving that problem.

Hope archie can hold his nerve and maybe pull something out of the hat here .This is potentially one of the most vital signings he'll ever make for the club and he has to get it right.

..............worried of Kingspark

The current team is much worse than the one that finished last season.

Top 6???? Aye right. How about signing a player.

Patience needed, it is the name of the game these days that players will obviously hold out for the best deal possible hence things going to the wire, trust in our management team as they came up trumps at the last window.

Agree with most of the comments written on this page.

Alan Hansen- I agree that patience is required to an extent but when the fans patience is rewarded with guys like Jim Paterson coming in on trial... Maybe the management team are getting a little worried at the lack of new faces?

I agree about Muirhead but we still need at least one more centre half.

The two points I'm making is firstly versatility is a plus point and, given the level they've played at, in those two players would certainly not be a negative.

Secondly they will have to show their fitness. Well I sincerely hope so. And, a third point I suppose, they'd be there to pass on their experience and hold the fort till the younger players we've got gain that experience and maturity. I'm unsure myself as to whether they're the best affordable option around, probably not. We won't sell many extra season tickets on the back of signing them. Hopefully there's more inspired signings to come.

a tad unnerved by the possible arrival of jim paterson; whilst st mirren have signed (on loan) a 19-year-old centre-back who has just signed a contract extension with man city, we appear to be looking at a player who will be 35 in sept and who has suffered three broken legs. i haven't forgotten that dave mackay (who'd recovered from two broken legs) was england's 'footballer of the year' with brian clough's derby county at the age of 35. with all due respect, however, jinm paterson is no dave mackay....

a tad unnerved by the possible arrival of jim paterson; whilst st mirren have signed (on loan) a 19-year-old centre-back who has just signed a contract extension with man city, we appear to be looking at a player who will be 35 in sept and who has suffered three broken legs. i haven't forgotten that dave mackay (who'd recovered from two broken legs) was england's 'footballer of the year' with brian clough's derby county at the age of 35. with all due respect, however, jinm paterson is no dave mackay....

Check out Big Jim Paterson's goal...

Sign him now!!!! :P

In all seriousness, on paper, I think he is not the signing we want. However, if he can prove he is fit and he can still move with more mobility than an Edinburgh Tram, he could be worth a deal for a year. Plenty experience to help organise and guide our defence.

Is he even any better than Mair though?! If not, and we sign him, then we have gone full circle or even backwards.

Edited by mhs

How does it compare to the team that we had assembled at this point last year?

Arguably worse in terms of squad depth but then I think the manager realised the team he assembled last Summer wasn't good enough hence why Baird & Forbes left the club along with bringing in another centre half.

So since the end of last season we've lost arguably our most consistent player over past couple of seasons- ATS- & have not replace him despite him indicating he'd be off at the end of his current contract.

We've released the player that the management team saw as the answer to our central defensive 'problems' last Summer & in Jan - Lee Mair.

We've lost out on a player that we'd like to have kept after his loan spell but not only that, a position that the manager was looking to further strengthen last Summer but couldn't get anyone else in after John Baird.

Also from last Summer's squad we've signed Gary Fraser permanently now which is a fantastic signing imo but that's tempered with the fact that Sean Welsh's injury problems seem to be never ending.

We were short going into the Autumn last season, the manager & the BoD realised that & rectified it in Jan with Taylor, Baubem, Erskine & Mair. We've replaced them, so far, with Stevenson.

Last week it was bad enough that we were t linked with anyone & had trialists like Barr & Magnay but this week we have Jim Paterson.

Paul Gallacher

Scott Fox

Jordan McMillan

Stephen O'Donnell

Conrad Balatoni

Aaron Muirhead

Gabriel Piccolo

Liam Lindsay

Dale Keenan

--- NEW LB ---

--- NEW CB ---

Stuart Bannigan

Gary Fraser

Sean Welsh

David Wilson

--- NEW MID ---

Kallum Higginbotham

Ryan Stevenson

Steven Lawless

Christie Elliott

James Craigen

Declan McDaid

--- NEW AM/W ---

Kris Doolan

Chris Duggan

--- NEW ST ---

Looking at who we've got, including the players expected to make the step up (can maybe add Simon Colina), there's what I think we need.

Edited by ThickAsThieves