Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

James McFadden training with us? Suggested that he's only there to get his fitness levels up, but I don't buy that anytime it's trotted out - if a player without a club is training with you, then it's with a view to a possible signing. I know a lot of folk will be against him signing - over the hill, etc. - but that goal against France gets him a free pass from me for the rest of his career. Higginbotham, Stevenson and McFadden playing behind Doolan? Quite fancy that...

James McFadden training with us? Suggested that he's only there to get his fitness levels up, but I don't buy that anytime it's trotted out - if a player without a club is training with you, then it's with a view to a possible signing. I know a lot of folk will be against him signing - over the hill, etc. - but that goal against France gets him a free pass from me for the rest of his career. Higginbotham, Stevenson and McFadden playing behind Doolan? Quite fancy that...

Where did you hear that?

Purely hypothetically I wouldn’t be against him signing for us. I think we are lacking a bit of experience in the forward areas of the pitch, but I did hear he was on an absolutely extortionate wage at Motherwell.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

Of the teams that can afford his wages, I can't see any of them wanting him to be honest. I may be wrong of course (it has been known), but if he's wanting to stay in Scotland he may not have that many options open to him. If that's the case, we may have as good a chance as anyone else of signing him for a year.

Realistically I can't see Stevenson, Higgy and McFadden all being starters especially against top sides and any team away from home.

If McFadden would settle on a wage reflective of a player who would spend a fair amount of time on the bench that would be a different matter. I really think that Chris Erskine coming in on loan is where we're at and something we'd welcome. An affordable option and someone who does the coming off the bench thingy well enough.

True James McFadden can play as an out and out striker but I don't believe he'd have the fitness, speed and motivation to replace Lyle Taylor. I guess McF is training with us and simply just that. We might offer him something if nothing he fancies turns up. Perhaps he just wants to stay at home?

In my mind at this time of his career whether he'd be sufficiently motivated would be a major doubt.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I've become underwhelmed by so many twilight, former stars signing for us and basically stealing a wage as they are no longer interested and/or able. But somehow I feel it could be different if McFadden joined us.

Have we actually had that many though?

Donnelly - Stayed with us for 4 or 5 seasons as a player before becoming assistant manager. I'd say he was a good player for us.

McNamara - was unlucky in suffering a horrific injury. Up until then I thought he had been excellent.

Can't think of too many others in recent years who fit your original description.

• Like 1

Have we actually had that many though?

Donnelly - Stayed with us for 4 or 5 seasons as a player before becoming assistant manager. I'd say he was a good player for us.

McNamara - was unlucky in suffering a horrific injury. Up until then I thought he had been excellent.

Can't think of too many others in recent years who fit your original description.

Closest one I can think of is Stevie Fulton, not exactly a "former star" but he did have caps for Scotland and play most of his career at our top/high level.