Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Have we actually had that many though?

Donnelly - Stayed with us for 4 or 5 seasons as a player before becoming assistant manager. I'd say he was a good player for us.

McNamara - was unlucky in suffering a horrific injury. Up until then I thought he had been excellent.

Can't think of too many others in recent years who fit your original description.

Can we add Jim Hamilton to that list? He was well past it when he joined us.

• Like 1

I've become underwhelmed by so many twilight, former stars signing for us and basically stealing a wage as they are no longer interested and/or able. But somehow I feel it could be different if McFadden joined us.

you must be talking 2005-07??.. how is that relevant just now?

Mcfadden.. meh if he accepts a reasonable wage we would be silly to say no..Only downside i can see would be his ego and him fitting into the team.. If he is willing to accept he isn't the "star" player and work with the team then hell yes take him!

Mcfadden.. meh if he accepts a reasonable wage we would be silly to say no..Only downside i can see would be his ego and him fitting into the team.. If he is willing to accept he isn't the "star" player and work with the team then hell yes take him!

Has McFadden's attitude/ego ever been called into question?

Cant see the McFadden thing happening due to the wages id imagine he would be looking for. Dools upfront with Higgy, Stevenson and McFadden behind him would be awesome. Fraser and Bannigan sitting in behind. Just need to sort out the defence!!

Faddy is no skint. maybe he just wants a game.

well didnt he get branded selfish and lazy at some point? (Think maybe by Levein who is a prick anyway) My concern is he might see himself as bigger than our team.. which is very much not a part of the way our team plays

I don't think that's an issue, grew up with and is still pals with a few Thistle fans.

My concern if we did sign McFadden is where he would play- Motherwell fans seem pretty unanimous he was useless out on the wing last year and was best up front- but I'd rather have Doolan there who is more mobile and more suited to our style of play. So he'd probably have to play centrally behind the striker which would force Stevenson either out wide or up front in place of Doolan.

I'd still be very surprised if we did sign him, those hair transplants ain't cheap.

Billy Dodds is a pretty good example. I think he was with us for two matches in 06'.

Dodds did at least kinda inadvertently pay his way. Played a part in the build up to the Roberts last minute penalty at Inverness, A televised (?) replay and a decent pay out at Tynecastle ensuing. Much as I find Wee Billy's subsequent media career in the main part nauseating he did have the honesty to jack it in more or less right away. I'm sure he could've manufactured a wage for a month or so if not to the end of the season.

I can't in all fairness slate over the hill players we've signed as they're often amongst the last to know they're goners. It's our managers that after all went out their way to sign them. I will make an exception for Fulton who was not just past it but also was instrumental in leading other players astray at Starks Pk. For an experienced pro to do what he did was unforgivable.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Have we actually had that many though?

Donnelly - Stayed with us for 4 or 5 seasons as a player before becoming assistant manager. I'd say he was a good player for us.

McNamara - was unlucky in suffering a horrific injury. Up until then I thought he had been excellent.

Can't think of too many others in recent years who fit your original description.

I was going back a good bit further, and thinking especially about ex-old firm players who embarrassed themselves and us: Steve Chalmers, John Divers, Stephan Bonnes (in the twilight of his career, ha ha!), Gregor Stevens, Billie Ritchie was also fat, slow, and clearly past it. More recently Derek Whyte, Jorge Cadette, and ageing "stars" from elsewhere too: Fulton literally being the biggest recent disaster.

I was going back a good bit further, and thinking especially about ex-old firm players who embarrassed themselves and us: Steve Chalmers, John Divers, Stephan Bonnes (in the twilight of his career, ha ha!), Gregor Stevens, Billie Ritchie was also fat, slow, and clearly past it. More recently Derek Whyte, Jorge Cadette, and ageing "stars" from elsewhere too: Fulton literally being the biggest recent disaster.

Being a bit harsh on Derek Whyte there. I thought he was pretty decent for us.

Agree with all the rest though.

• Like 2