Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

If we were in a position to offer McFadden a deal what do we all realistically think we would pay (he would want) and would it be value for money?

My best guess for a normal attacking midfielder on our budget would be an potential overall outlay of £50K per season. If we were to offer McFadden £100-110K per season, would it be such bad business?

All plucked out of thin air of course but if it put an extra 200 bums on seats for every home game then surely it’s worth a punt? I think so.

If he demands more or someone knows someone who knows someone who knows his salary, and its a lot higher, then forget it.

Edited by The Legend Blows

I am not against going for McFadden but I would not be keen on blowing a lot of money on him either. He has had his injury problems and its not obvious where he fits into the team.

We need to add some more pace to the team, would like to see a quick striker and attacking midfielder brought in.

Edited by Alan Murray

McFadden would be a great signing, but only if within the wage structure. Equally if he's a player-coach I'd be happy paying him player + coach wages. But we shouldn't be bursting the budget for anyone.

Thought we would have seen Barr and a left-back (either of the Wigan boys) sign by now. Interesting that they've not...

Didn't Archie say something about giving the younger players a chance next season? If that's the case I can't see another attacking mid being a priority, bearing in mind McDaid can come in along with Stevenson, Lawless, Higgy, Craigen and Elliot.

Another attacker is a must, however - maybe McFadden playing off Doolan? He's always lacked a bit of pace but McFadden did OK in the lone striker role back in Paris a few years back...

McFadden would be a great signing, but only if within the wage structure. Equally if he's a player-coach I'd be happy paying him player + coach wages. But we shouldn't be bursting the budget for anyone.

I know what you mean but McFadden isn't a coach. He'd be a trainee coach. As far as I'm concerned that wouldn't warrant us effectively paying another wage to a novice who'll piss off to another club once he's accredited.

In fact I'm sure it should work the other way. Sign as a player for a more nominal salary and we'll give you the flexibility to get your coaching badges.

• Like 1

I know what you mean but McFadden isn't a coach. He'd be a trainee coach. As far as I'm concerned that wouldn't warrant us effectively paying another wage to a novice who'll piss off to another club once he's accredited.

In fact I'm sure it should work the other way. Sign as a player for a more nominal salary and we'll give you the flexibility to get your coaching badges.

'tis a fair point, to be sure.

The signing of McFadden would be a breakthrough for the club somewhat, in terms of actually convincing other higher calibre players to come to the club. McFadden, althought he has had his injur problems, he's not a 35-36 year old. He's still a young man. The wealth of experience he would bring into such a young squad along with Stevenson is priceless. I couldnt give a shit how much we pay him. There were obviously additional funds in place to pay for Taylor if he signed for us and that fell through, so it would appear that the money is there to fund such a deal.

Can anyone confirm if he has attended any further training sessions this week?

• Like 1

Agree, I think McFadden in a player-coach role could be a great idea.

It would help make sense of paying his higher than average wages (in Thistle terms) and could be key in attracting him to sign (career development). It would also allow a player with experience of playing at the highest level to coach our relatively young team. Archie and Shaggy are defenders and it could be beneficial to have a striker help with coaching.

I think Darren Jackson helped coach us under Ratnamra and we played good attacking football which we are doing our best to continue. Such a coach could help with that.

Edited by mhs

McFadden was training with the Thistle team today. He played in a bounce game and played off the right wing at first then moved to just behind the striker. I noticed Higgy changed teams at half time to be in the same 11 as him for the second half. Abdul Osman looks to be a decent signing too

• Like 1

McFadden was training with the Thistle team today. He played in a bounce game and played off the right wing at first then moved to just behind the striker. I noticed Higgy changed teams at half time to be in the same 11 as him for the second half. Abdul Osman looks to be a decent signing too

were Bencherif, Parsons and Damessi still there?

were Bencherif, Parsons and Damessi still there?

There were two left backs there that I didn't recognise, going by the shouts one of them was Jordan Mustoe. There weren't any centre mid trialists,Osman was there but he's signed now. I didn't see Bannigan anywhere, supposedly he's injured and is training away from the rest of the team. Darren Barr was there. Other than that don't think there was anyone else I didn't recognise.

• Like 1

The signing of McFadden would be a breakthrough for the club somewhat, in terms of actually convincing other higher calibre players to come to the club. McFadden, althought he has had his injur problems, he's not a 35-36 year old. He's still a young man. The wealth of experience he would bring into such a young squad along with Stevenson is priceless. I couldnt give a shit how much we pay him. There were obviously additional funds in place to pay for Taylor if he signed for us and that fell through, so it would appear that the money is there to fund such a deal.

Can anyone confirm if he has attended any further training sessions this week?

The signing of McFAdden would be a huge gamble in terms of his injury problems, think we need to be careful, before this week did anyone mention him. ? , think we should keep our focus on what we really need at least a left back , maybe 2 centre halves , and maybe a pacey forward, to blow a good bit of the budget on Faddy wouldn't be a good idea . Think people are getting carried away by the name not the player he is now. Edited by jlsarmy
  • Like 2

If we've still got Barr & Mustoe on trial after 4 weeks does it mean...

The manager hasn't got the targets in he hoped for & therefore if nothing better comes along they'll do?

Or

He wants another look at them?

4 weeks is a long time for a player to be on trial these days.

If we've still got Barr & Mustoe on trial after 4 weeks does it mean...

The manager hasn't got the targets in he hoped for & therefore if nothing better comes along they'll do?

Or

He wants another look at them?

4 weeks is a long time for a player to be on trial these days.

Trotter your not allowed to question Archies ability in any way other wise you get shouted down!

Edited by dougie247
  • Like 1

Ffs Barr is hardly on trial with us to prove his ability. We really would have a unique manager that doesn't know what Barr has done and, fully fit, the level he can play at. I'd suggest he's on trial to prove his fitness and the time scale tho' not entirely up to the player may be flexible. Meantime he continues to train with us and no doubt Archie & Shaggy continue to look at other options.

Anyway Barr could've been offered terms that don't match his expectations.

I'm not sure I'd be too keen on us signing a fella that has attracted no interest whatsoever elsewhere. It's not as if other clubs can't live with our pay packages.

Heard that faddy approached us to keep fit, also the 1st team done a bleep test today and faddy didn't do it. So personally don't think we will sign him. Also don't think he is going to belfast. His fitness is the biggest worry with him, he has all the skill in the world, but not fit enough these days.

• Like 1

Ffs Barr is hardly on trial with us to prove his ability. We really would have a unique manager that doesn't know what Barr has done and, fully fit, the level he can play at. I'd suggest he's on trial to prove his fitness and the time scale tho' not entirely up to the player may be flexible. Meantime he continues to train with us and no doubt Archie & Shaggy continue to look at other options.

Anyway Barr could've been offered terms that don't match his expectations.

I'm not sure I'd be too keen on us signing a fella that has attracted no interest whatsoever elsewhere. It's not as if other clubs can't live with our pay packages.

We're looking at him as a centre half. A position he's hardly played since leaving Falkirk. If we are looking at him to prove his fitness as a centre half then I think we're struggling to attract players for that position.

If we're not matching his expectations as far as terms go, I don't think he'd be hanging about as he obviously has other offers on the table higher than what we're prepared to offer. If he's looking for more than I'm sure we'd be showing him the door.

Heard that faddy approached us to keep fit, also the 1st team done a bleep test today and faddy didn't do it. So personally don't think we will sign him. Also don't think he is going to belfast. His fitness is the biggest worry with him, he has all the skill in the world, but not fit enough these days.

I'm sure I heard that Faddy can't train on astro turf because of his knees so that might explain that

• Like 1

If McFadden will take the same wages as everybody else then fine. Good addition. If not then a bad addition to squad moral. I think Archie learned a bit from last year about not jumping just to get bodies who couldn't quite make it (i.e Baird). A big learning season for a young manager. Players and agents will be a lot easier to deal with as the new season get's closer and i'm sure he knows it now.

Didn't Archie say something about giving the younger players a chance next season? If that's the case I can't see another attacking mid being a priority, bearing in mind McDaid can come in along with Stevenson, Lawless, Higgy, Craigen and Elliot.

Another attacker is a must, however - maybe McFadden playing off Doolan? He's always lacked a bit of pace but McFadden did OK in the lone striker role back in Paris a few years back...

Let's not kid ourselves on. Not a chance in hell Archie will play McDaid, Duggan, Colina, Wilson etc. I'd stake serious money that the combined appearances of last year's under 20's this season will not exceed 30 appearances, maybe even 20. Hardly giving youth a chance. Would even go as far as to say that none of the current under 20's will make it, not with Thistle anyway.

Edited by The Legend Blows

http://www.transfermarkt.com/james-mcfadden/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/9956/wettbewerb/SC1/verein/987

Last season McFadden played in 27 games, was an unused substitute in 4 and missed 7 games during two spells on the sideline. Over his 40 league games in total with Well has scored 10 goals and directly assisted another 10 goals.

No idea if we are looking to sign him but I feel he could really bring something to our squad this season. Interestingly he has played behind the striker in most of his recent games which is a position we could do with enhancing I feel.

Que sera sera.

would far rather we signed juan carlos garcia as rumoured by the daily mail than james mcfadden. to go off on a tangent (but i think i may have missed something) is stuart bannigan injured? if so, any word on whether he will be for ross county game?