Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Let's not kid ourselves on. Not a chance in hell Archie will play McDaid, Duggan, Colina, Wilson etc. I'd stake serious money that the combined appearances of last year's under 20's this season will not exceed 30 appearances, maybe even 20. Hardly giving youth a chance. Would even go as far as to say that none of the current under 20's will make it, not with Thistle anyway.

By this do you mean that they aren't good enough or that you don't Archie really wants to give youth a chance. If I remember correctly, when Bannigan first came on the scene, he played a couple of games at the start of the season and then a few at the end. Mind you he was only about 16 at the time.

Let's not kid ourselves on. Not a chance in hell Archie will play McDaid, Duggan, Colina, Wilson etc. I'd stake serious money that the combined appearances of last year's under 20's this season will not exceed 30 appearances, maybe even 20. Hardly giving youth a chance. Would even go as far as to say that none of the current under 20's will make it, not with Thistle anyway.

Let's not kid ourselves on. How many times have you seen McDaid, Duggan, Colina, Wilson etc play?

• Members

I reckon Lindsay has a very good chance. Be interesting to see what we do with him this Season. We may already have the answer to our left sided central defensive problem at the Club. Ideally, like to see him go out on loan for the 1st half of the Season to a Championship side.

Yeah, you're probably right. I was really just trying to emphasise that I don't see attacking midfield signings as a priority at the moment.

Let's not kid ourselves on. How many times have you seen McDaid, Duggan, Colina, Wilson etc play?

Totally irrelevant to the point I'm making. Doesn't matter if I saw all or none of the under 20 games last season. Also irrelevant if they are good enough or not. Archie won't play them.

Lindsay is some size, im surprised he wasn't given a run out vs Dumbarton, even for 20-30 mins. yes we want to see how Balatoni and Barr would pair up but it would be interesting to see Barr talk Lindsay through the game. I agree we should try and get him out playing regular first team football,preferably in the championship.

Why are you so down on your own club? Or is it just the manager? I'm genuinely interested.

Seen it all before over the years. I'm a realist, not a head in the clouds happy clapper like so many on here. If Archie doesn't get cover for all positions he'll either make do or play people out of position, not promote youth. We have an under 20 squad because we have to not because we want to. I like to give a negative perspective to all the positive flannel just to stop people getting over excited. We're doomed.

• Like 1

Seen it all before over the years. I'm a realist, not a head in the clouds happy clapper like so many on here. If Archie doesn't get cover for all positions he'll either make do or play people out of position, not promote youth. We have an under 20 squad because we have to not because we want to. I like to give a negative perspective to all the positive flannel just to stop people getting over excited. We're doomed.

One man's realist is another man's pessimist- here's your pre-season prediction for 2012/13:

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

We'll release a few players in the summer. Cairney will go, Paton will stay, McNamara will stay. Archibald will continue to get a game. We'll sign a few mediocre lower league/junior players. We'll have a poor pre season, an average start to the campaign, pick up a bit mid season then it'll all fizzle out due to to many draws. Thread over, see you all this time next season for 2013/2014 predictions.

• Like 3

One man's realist is another man's pessimist- here's your pre-season prediction for 2012/13:

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

We'll release a few players in the summer. Cairney will go, Paton will stay, McNamara will stay. Archibald will continue to get a game. We'll sign a few mediocre lower league/junior players. We'll have a poor pre season, an average start to the campaign, pick up a bit mid season then it'll all fizzle out due to to many draws. Thread over, see you all this time next season for 2013/2014 predictions.

Excellent. Use that as a template for this season.

We'll release a few players in the summer. Osbourne will go, Lawless will stay, Archibald will stay. Muirhead will continue to get a game. We'll sign a few mediocre English league/lower league players. We'll have a poor pre season, an average start to the campaign, pick up a bit mid season then it'll all fizzle out due to to many narrow defeats culminating in us finishing 11 where we'll lose 4-1 on aggregate to a rejuvenated Hearts in the playoff. Thread over, see you all this time next season for 2015/2016 predictions. 

• Like 1

Can't help but agree with The Legend Bllows here.

I think the re signings of Lawless & Elliot along with the inactivity in the transfer market shows we're relying on others- namely Hamtin, Killie & St Mirren being worse than us.

Stevenson on paper looks a good signing & we got a little fortunate in that Osman arrived at our door looking for a trial but a midfielder was never top of the list.

We're in the same position that we were in this time last season in that we're still looking for players in the spine of the team. Namely a centre forward & centre half.

I've had the "it's still early" thrown at me. Well it's the end of July, we've been back in training a month & are 10 days away from the start of the season & have no replacement for one of our key & most consistent performers who informed the club last Summer he'd likely be off & by Xmas saying he'd definitely be off.

We've now had a guy on trial for 4 weeks as a potential replacement. Are you seriously telling me that the club are convinced about him? Or if nothing better comes he'll have to do? Same with Datren Barr.

It was the manager that said he wanted 6 or 7 players in with the majority of the business done early. Define early please someone? Is it the 29th August?

As for Duke pulling that thread out for The Legend Blows... You can probably find plenty of mine to tell me I've fallen out with the club but I'm still here & over a good number of years have invested a lot of money, time & effort with the club so know how this works.

Finally Duke, in seeing you've got so much time on your hands trolling through old threads. Can you link the ones where folk have been critical of our new saviours Elliot & Lawless. I'm sure there would be a few folk who'll be hypocrites.

Again, how do you know?

Can't help but agree with The Legend Bllows here.

As for Duke pulling that thread out for The Legend Blows... You can probably find plenty of mine to tell me I've fallen out with the club but I'm still here & over a good number of years have invested a lot of money, time & effort with the club so know how this works.

Finally Duke, in seeing you've got so much time on your hands trolling through old threads. Can you link the ones where folk have been critical of our new saviours Elliot & Lawless. I'm sure there would be a few folk who'll be hypocrites.

Calm down mate, I was only having a bit of fun. I see that the Legend Blows has taken it in the spirit intended with his reply.

I think the re signings of Lawless & Elliot along with the inactivity in the transfer market shows we're relying on others- namely Hamtin, Killie & St Mirren being worse than us.

Stevenson on paper looks a good signing & we got a little fortunate in that Osman arrived at our door looking for a trial but a midfielder was never top of the list.

I suppose we should be hoping they're better than us...

On paper? I'm assuming you've never seen Stevenson play? I honestly can't remember anyone having a bad word to say about that signing.

Osman wasn't picked up off the street, bindle in hand, he came on Kenny Crichton's recommendation. Archie targeted 5 or 6 players of which one was always going to be an experienced sitting midfielder.

Look at the side that finished the season relatively strongly - Stevenson is a replacement for Erskine while Osman fills Buaben's shoes. Muirhead is also fully fit.

I'll concede that Taylor's decision to join Scunthorpe probably blindsided us, but I believe we're a long way off the disaster people are predicting.

I'm also a lot more confident going into the season with Gallagher as our established number one.

The fact is, there are certain individuals who will always deride Archie - or any other Thistle manager, for that matter - no matter what he does or who he signs. It's just their nature.

Look at the players other SPL clubs have brought in. If we signed them they'd be labelled unknowns, over the hill or not good enough.

We've spent a season in the premiership. We've seen the majority of the teams we'll come up against and have experience of those coming up from the Championship. Considering that, what's causing the panic?

Edited by Dark Passenger
  • Like 2

Glad you weren't involved when the Weir's were considering investing in Thistle Youth set up. Can't see anybody investing in something if there is no commitment!

• Like 1

I don't think it's the case that the manager wouldn't promote youth.

When money is so tight the manager is going to promote a youth player if he is deemed to be good enough to be promoted to the first team.

From what i heard nobody was quite ready last term but this could change this season.

Our game is riddled with managers fearful of pushing on young players and it's one of the main reasons why our game suffers in this country when the experienced journeyman is mostly seen as a better option than the promotion of an up and coming talented youth player.

I honestly don't think Archie falls into that category and will push youth on if the talent is there for him to use.

The fear of relegation in this league will always make most managers go for experience over youth and this mindset (at most clubs) needs to be changed if youth players are to flourish in the game up here and take the game forward.

Edited by billko
  • Like 1

In this article Archie states that he wants the transfer work done by August so we are still on target if he is talking about the end of the transfer window (and even if we are looking at the start of the season that is still 2 weeks). I would expect that after the friendly today there will be progress on signings but if not we have to back Archie's judgement.

http://www.eveningti...67665n.24398514