Ross Forbes

thebiglemon

To be fair they were losing 1 - 0 last week. he came on and they scored two goals to put them through. Today it was 0 - 0, he comes on and they score. Noticed this happen a couple of times at the end of the season. Forbes is a top championship player and a decent bench player in the premiership. I think he is unfortunate, a bit like Cairney at Hibs, when things don''t go well or to plan he is the first one to drop. The attacking mid role needs your team to be in control at that level to work.

Really like Forbes. He has confidence in his ability and can back it up. Was sorry to see him go.

It's also sad that an obviously very talented player couldn't up his work and concentration levels to be able to make the best use of that talent. Happens a lot of course.

To be fair they were losing 1 - 0 last week. he came on and they scored two goals to put them through. Today it was 0 - 0, he comes on and they score. Noticed this happen a couple of times at the end of the season. Forbes is a top championship player and a decent bench player in the premiership. I think he is unfortunate, a bit like Cairney at Hibs, when things don''t go well or to plan he is the first one to drop. The attacking mid role needs your team to be in control at that level to work.

Really? If you're holding on to a game you don't want someone who is afraid to tackle and get stuck in. If you are chasing a game he has no pace. At no point this season have I thought 'I wish we could bring on Forbes'.

His only asset is his left foot and frankly no player should be in a Premiership squad solely because he can put in a half decent cross (sometimes).

I was never Forbes's biggest fan, but this was less down to him being work-shy and more to do with him simply not being mobile enough. To say he lacks pace is a massive understatement; opposition midfielders were able to stroll past him with relative ease. It's a shame as he clearly has ability.

Like him or not he has more ability that League 1.

He probably has more ability than Elliott. Elliott just works a lot harder.

Wouldn't disagree with that. In terms of natural ability Forbes probably has more than most players in our current squad.

But I would take Elliott over Forbes any day of the week.

When thinking of Ross Forbes my memory goes into overdrive and picks out Ryan McStay. Was he not similar, a classy midfield playmaker, but lacking in work rate. Would I be right in recalling that he made a promising start with us but slowly slid out of the first team picture and continued to slide down the leagues post-Thistle. Is he still playing? Juniors?

Really don't buy this workrate line Forbes gets tagged with. Everytime I've seen him, he knocks his pan in. Granted he doesn't do much defending but that's just the type of player he is. Higgy is an exception to the rule, but in general these forward wingers don't do much defending. I'd prefer him to Elliot, probably Lawless and on current form Erskine. All be it the latter does have potential tucked away somewhere.

When thinking of Ross Forbes my memory goes into overdrive and picks out Ryan McStay. Was he not similar, a classy midfield playmaker, but lacking in work rate. Would I be right in recalling that he made a promising start with us but slowly slid out of the first team picture and continued to slide down the leagues post-Thistle. Is he still playing? Juniors?

It's strange in a way but I can also see the resemblance between McStay and Forbes. Both have or had incredibly quick feet.. The only players I think that have come close in recent years are Harkins and possibly Corcoran.

I don't really think Ross Forbes yet falls into the flawed ballplayer category. I'm maybe a bit more MoR with my views re Forbes. I didn't exactly eulogise about his dead ball deliveries. I felt that they were 100% better than what went before but that wasn't exactly difficult. I did tho' feel his contribution in open play was much underrated.