World Cup Pundit Thread

thebiglemon

Good stuff. Engerlund shown up to be overpaid mediocrities as per usual ... and the two South American teams should be able to rip them a couple of new erse holes ...

Thought England played well but were beaten by a better team. Certainly England really tried to attack, entertain and win.

Plenty of times I've been willing them to fail because they were so poor to watch- not last night. Quality game. Pirlo's free kick was sublime.

PS. Don't see Uaregay (one for Simpson fans) stopping England on Thursday.

Edited by thebiglemon
  • Like 1

Neville's latest beauty -

"When the referee puts down the imaginary line...."

:-) :-)

Nearly spat my beer all over the carpet when I heard him say that. The man is a comic genius.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned the worst co-commentator / analyst ever..... The former Irish internationalist Mark Lawrenson :wall:

Thought England played well but were beaten by a better team. Certainly England really tried to attack, entertain and win.

Plenty of times I've been willing them to fail because they were so poor to watch- not last night. Quality game. Pirlo's free kick was sublime.

Kind of agree. Uruguay were exactly as some pundits described - some good forwards (though Suarez injured and Forlan looking past it) but very unlike their teams in the past poor defensively. Don't say for sure that England will beat them but they will score against them no problem.

Costa Rica could be a problem as they have the option of sitting in and hitting on the break - though if they do that successfully against Italy that could put England back in it.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I don't know, they might throw Suárez on to gamble for victory, and if fit enough he could rip England apart. For 300 grand a week, Rooney is a complete joke; I think Italy could have scored more if they needed to.

At least you can get 5Live commentary on a different BBC digital channel if you prefer.

ITV for the Japan vs Ivory Coast (sorry, Côte d'Ivoire) game had a solo commentator, Gary Bloom. He wasn't amazing but at least there was less awfulness than most co-commentators bring.

Also shout out to Lee Dixon, but not sure if he just looks decent to comparison to everything else on ITV.

One of life's great mysteries is how both chiles and lawrenson hold down media jobs. Chiles especially has none of the relevant qualities. He isn't funny, or insightful, or particularly good at sparking debate, or even just controversial to boost ratings. Nor is he a decent looking bird. Lawrenson also appears to not even like football and shows almost no interest in the game he's actually commentating on. At least there's no Gary Mcallister who is quite simply the worst commentator on anything ever. The mans an absolute rocket.

ITV for the Japan vs Ivory Coast (sorry, Côte d'Ivoire) game had a solo commentator, Gary Bloom.

I thought he was the worst yet. He felt the need to remind us every five minutes that Ivory Coast is in Africa but I'm still waiting to hear which continent Japan is in.

I like Henry and Seedorf. I especially like the way that Thierry Henry consistently referred to his "chatting with Clarence" which gave the real impression that they were excluding Robbie a Savage, presumably on the basis that he's a knob.

BBC is miles ahead of ITV, which is awful, but they still have their share of complete wallopers.