Name That Autograph

Stewarty

So, I finally got around to buying myself a copy of the Club's official history on eBay. Upon opening the book I was delighted to find that it has been signed by a number of ex-players, and 1971 cup winners at that. I can identify the autographs of Jackie Campbell, Alex Rae and, I think, John Hansen. Author Robert Reid has also signed the book, which is presented 'to Allan', on a separate page. I'm struggling to attach names to the other autographs, however. Can anyone help?

339uji1.jpg

The one under John Marr could be Johnny Gibson (or Johnny Flanagan?) Not sure about the bottom right, could it be Davie McParland?

My book's at home in EK, so I can't check who autographed it, but I got it in the Alan Rough lounge the day it was launched. There were several players there that day. I remember Jackie Campbell, Dougie Somner, Kenny Watson, Bobby Houston & Frank Coulston being there. Johnny Gibson & John Marr were maybe there as well

Edited by jaggy

The one under John Marr could be Johnny Gibson (or Johnny Flanagan?) Not sure about the bottom right, could it be Davie McParland?

My book's at home in EK, so I can't check who autographed it, but I got it in the Alan Rough lounge the day it was launched. There were several players there that day. I remember Jackie Campbell, Dougie Somner, Kenny Watson, Bobby Houston & Frank Coulston being there. Johnny Gibson & John Marr were maybe there as well

Sounds like this copy was bought on the same day. Johnny Gibson is a decent shout. The one on the bottom right is absolutely indecipherable!

I think the one below John Marr is John Hansen. I got him to sign a programme one Anglo-Scottish Cup night and it looked pretty similar.

I'd say Johnny Gibson. It looks like a "y" at the end of the first name, and Hansen was never "Johnny."

They're all readable except the one at the bottom right....

Just been looking at stuthejag's brilliant site, which has an autograph section. The third photo from the bottom contains John Hansen's signature, which I don't think matches what we're looking at here. It resembles John Flood's a bit, but not enough for me to be sure.

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/Autographs

Just been looking at stuthejag's brilliant site, which has an autograph section. The third photo from the bottom contains John Hansen's signature, which I don't think matches what we're looking at here. It resembles John Flood's a bit, but not enough for me to be sure. http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/Autographs

On his Kenny McDowall/John Murray page, isn't one of the others Maurice Johnston?

I've just checked my "The JAGS" book by Ian Archer when I was a ball-boy. I have autographs from 1976-77 team which have these these also and . . .

Dougie Somner

Jackie Campbell

Frank Coulston

John Marr

Kenny Watson Johnny Gibson Alex Rae

Bobby Houston

Billy Thomson and ...?....

It is definitely NOT Donnie MacKinnon as his was legible (Bet me 2p once he could tell me which card I had picked = HE WON!!!!)

I am pretty sure its not Davie McParland either as he was also neat

I'll look out my Olde Autograph Book my mum found as she was tidying out my Dads stuff. :detective:

Always put my Autograph book into the Away dressing room before the match. All the ball boys that wanted to would leave the autograph books on the treatment table before the away team arrived and collect after the match. Knocking the door to collect it from a grumpy losing team was sometimes quite an interesting experience when they opened the door.

:fan:

• Like 1

The best "fit" I can come up with is Doug McNab. Looks to me about the right amount of letters and is loosely in the same era. Against that and with no disrespect but Dougie hardly matches the status of the other players.

I can see how you'd arrive at McNab. The flourish at the end does look like an ingenious hybrid of a capital A and a lower-case b. The problem is, it's so illegible that it's close to being the autograph equivalent of a Rorschach inkblot test.