Alan Hansen Tribute

partickthedog

Just watched this on the BBC. Contained good chunk on Thistle (despite grating references to "Partick"), including highlights of the League Cup win in 1971. All 4 goals were shown and it was interesting to hear the Archie Macpherson BBC commentary in place of Arthur Montford's words for ITV which have become so familiar.

John Hansen was featured throughout the programme and showed himself to be a relaxed and entertaining conversationalist. He would have been equally as good as a pundit and it is a pity that BBC Scotland did not give him this opportunity when you consider the wooden personalities and poor public speakers who have been wheeled out instead.

John credited the League Cup triumph with being the inspiration which caused Alan to focus on his football career, whereas before he had been a multi-sports enthusiast with stronger leanings towards golf.

it is a pity that BBC Scotland did not give him this opportunity when you consider the wooden personalities and poor public speakers who have been wheeled out instead.

By John's own admission he wasn't very good at match analysis. Of course, this doesn't stop any of the current Sportscene pundits.

Thought the whole programme was excellent. I presume there'll be at least two or three autobiographies/biographies on Alan but for once the subject matter is interesting even from a non football aspect. Apart from the odd Sky game I see in the pub MotD virtually gives me my only insight into premiership football. I'll probably not bother with the volume control now Hansen's departed.

Btw I liked Alan's reference to Jag's fans being super critical and 100 times harder to please. He only needs to come on here now and again, when the usual suspects are in full flow, to see not much has changed

Hansen A. is the finest player I have ever seen in a Thistle jersey and probably the finest player I have ever seen play live. :worship: Strangely he was not my favourite player - perhaps he was too talented for my recognition in that respect - naturally Denis wins that accolade!

Thought last night's programme, particularly in respect to his early career at Firhill, was very good - no attempt to portray any "humble beginnings" or patronise the club as a quaint novelty. To a degree the club, the expectations and even the abuse from the supporter's seemed to "ground" both Hansens and there was a fair amount of affection in their recollections.

Another remarkable element of the programme was the wider Hansen family - not just J and A but also their sister(!) - apologies all round!!, Alan's wife and both the "kids" - all seemed very normal, modest, well-spoken people - a remarkable contrast with most (although I hasten to add, not all) more modern footballing families.

Edited by JeanieD

• Members

Another remarkable element of the programme was the wider Hansen family - not just J and A but also their mother, Alan's wife and both the "kids" - all seemed very normal, modest, well-spoken people - a remarkable contrast with most (although I hasten to add, not all) more modern footballing families.

That was John and Alan's young sister Jeanie! :D

Watched this in work last night..I have always held back when people were slating hansens punditry skills. I was well aware of Alan's very different persona off screen and it was tribute to him when John said "his greatest achievement is the success of bringing up his 2 children"

Still visibly upset by hillsborough as well.

Thought it was a good programme and well done.

In addition one of my memories was our first season in the old Premier Division. He scored the winner in great 4-3 win over Rangers. He went mental, we went mental and wee Bertie Auld bit through his cigar. What a night.

One of my all time favorite games.Was a wee boy standing behind the goal when big hansen rolled in the late penalty winner and when I celebrated got kicked in the arse by a H*n fan about thirty years older than me. First time I realised what a bunch of scumbags they actually were but boy the next day in school was brilliant.

• Like 4

Excellent programme. The chat with him, Souness and Dalglish was good. Had never seen the Dalglish open goal miss after being set up by Hansen before. Shocker!

However, Hansen may be a good pundit himself but he's not a good judge of one if he thinks Shearer's one of the best of the new brigade! Don't suppose he was going to say anything else having worked with him the last few years right enough.

Remember after we won the league through at East End Park in the mid 70s, we stopped off for a drink at a bar in Alloa on our way back down the road. 20 minutes later in walked the Hansen brothers. There were 9/10 jags fan in the bar (from NW supporters bus) and they got everyone a drink. They obviously got a good bonus for winning the league...lol. Two great guys!

Edited by Lindau

Remember after we won the league through at East End Park in the mid 70s, we stopped off for a drink at a bar in Alloa on our way back down the road. 20 minutes later in walked the Hansen brothers. There were 9/10 jags fan in the bar (from NW supporters bus) and they got everyone a drink. They obviously got a good bonus for winning the league...lol. Two great guys!

Best player I have ever seen in all the time I have been following the Jags bar none.Class Act.

(Replying to post 19). From memory it was an indecisive tackle by Willie Millar which allowed Preben Elkjaar through to score for Denmark

I thought that was the USSR? What was wrong there I think that both Miller and Hansen were the sweeper or covering defenders in their own teams and neither was sure who should go for the tackle hence the mix up. A mistake by the manager I'd say. Hansen may have been a better player than McLeish or Miller but the Miller-McLeish combination was our best defensive partnership.

One of these things were the best player doesn't always fit unfortunately,

David Narey was the other centre back in the squad although Richard Gough and Roy Aitken might have played there if needed but were first choice at right back and in midfield. McLeish and Miller were a brilliant battle hardened centre back combination and you could understand the thinking that they were a better partnership. However, Alex Ferguson actually chose Miller & Narey for the games against West Germany & Uruguay. David Narey was a very good player but he was not in the same class as Alan Hansen...I'm sure Ferguson subsequently and uncharacteristically admitted that it had been a mistake leaving out Hansen out.

Another former Thistle legend, Mo Johnston, was also omitted from the squad and Alan Rough, then with Hibs, was the 3rd Keeper.